1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transmission function of diffraction grating aperture

1. Feb 20, 2009 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The aperture has vertical opaque strips of width, a, separated by open spaces of width 2a. The width of the overall aperture is L = 19a.

a) Write a transmission function for this aperture.

b) What would the field distribution be, at a plane in the Fraunhofer zone, if the aperture was
    irradiated by a plane wave directed along the normal of the aperture? Draw a sketch of the
    irradiance pattern along the X and Y axes of the far field plane.

---------------------------------------------------------

Despite searching through some notes and several textbooks I still cannot find a clear expression for a transmission function that includes the specifics of this question. If someone can help or make some useful references that would be very helpful, thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This looks like a pretty specialized, so I doubt you'll find a final formula for it.

They are probably expecting you to figure out how the phase contributions from all the openings combine to produce a pattern. Not sure off the top of my head how to do that, but do you have a derivation for the single-slit you can refer to? That would probably illustrate how to proceed for this case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook