Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fraunhofer diffraction and convolution of two aperture functions

1. Apr 21, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I'm having some trouble understanding the concept of two function convolution in Fraunhofer diffraction.

Let's say I have an aperture function in the shape of some cosine function (which is always above zero), and I want to calculate the transmission function if I only illuminate 3 such "slits" (so I capture 3 peaks of cosine aperture function). In order to do that, I was told to take the convolution of two Fourier transforms: the transmission function of cosine aperture illuminated over infinite slits and the transmission function of the Rect. function (some kind of box, which captures the 3 peaks of cosine function), which is a Sinc. function.

Is this correct? I don't quite get the physical meaning of convolution in this particular case.

Thanks for any explanations.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2013 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If I understand you correctly, the aperture function could be written as something like cos^2(x)*rect(x/3). Assuming I kept track of the scale factors correctly, this means that 3 cycles of cos^2 (which is always positive) are illuminated.

Then, the far-field diffraction pattern is the FT of the aperture function, which would be FT(cos^2) convolved with FT(rect(x/3)), or:

(1/2 Sqrt[\[Pi]/2] DiracDelta[-2 + u] + Sqrt[\[Pi]/2] DiracDelta +
    1/2 Sqrt[\[Pi]/2] DiracDelta[2 + u])**Sinc[3u],

where DiracDelta[a+u] is a delta function located at u = -a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook