Transmit RF signals directly to receiver in line of sight

In summary: No specific type of antenna was mentioned in the conversation, but options such as Yagi, Tin Can, and Rhombic antennas were suggested. Other solutions mentioned include using a HAM radio club for technical and legal advice, using a Wifi antenna for shorter distances, and modulating a small LED flashlight for transmitting data. It is recommended to check local laws and regulations before proceeding.
TechTree
Hello, I am trying to transmit radio signals across a distance of just under 1km to the receiver. The receiver is in line of sight with the transmitter. I just need to send the data in the most direct way possible, almost like shining a laser through the air. I was wondering what type of antenna would be used in this situation?

Many thanks! :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine that Spain, like most countries does not allow you to transmit radio without a special license.

Contact a HAM radio (might be called amateur radio) club near you. They can give you both technical advice and legal advice. Some of them might have already built something very similar to what you described.

Likes TechTree
Hi !
What data rate ? Is it time critical ??

I've seen pole-mounted multiple Yagi arrays used to relay TV from ridge receiver to village in valley.
I can't remember if this used UHF as-is, or down-shifted prior to re-transmission.

Also, I've seen site CCTV systems 'beam' from masts to base-station's outside antennae...
YMMV.

Likes TechTree
TechTree said:
Hello, I am trying to transmit radio signals across a distance of just under 1km to the receiver.
i hope you're using a legal apparatus like a walkie-talkie.

TechTree said:
I was wondering what type of antenna would be used in this situation?
Depends on the wavelength (frequency) you're using.

WIFI hackers build Tin Can Antennas and plans abound on Youtube. They operate on very short wavelengths/high frequencies. .

TechTree said:
I just need to send the data in the most direct way possible, almost like shining a laser through the air. I
YAGI is easy to make and works well .
If you want to get fancy, and have plenty of room. look up "Rhombic Antenna"

Antenna size is on same order of magnitude as wavelength involved.
An antenna may have to be a mile across for a low frequency or just a few millimeters for high one
so your question can't really be answered as posed.

"A question well stated is half answered" .

Last edited:
Likes TechTree
Have you thought about modulating a small led flashlight ? You could aim a telescope at it on receiving end.

Likes TechTree and noxidINF
I would start checking existing and ready solutions, like the ones used for telemetry in RC models - something like RFD900 Radio Modem, or much cheaper SiK telemetry radio. While these model are specialized for RC and telemetry they can be a good starting point for finding solution that will suit your needs.

And they don't require any serious external antenna, they come with one that will work at 1 km without problems.

Last edited:
Likes davenn, TechTree and jim hardy
Thank you for all the replies, very informative!
jim hardy said:
Have you thought about modulating a small led flashlight ? You could aim a telescope at it on receiving end.
That's a very clever idea, I'm curious to try and set something up like that now. :wink:

Likes berkeman
The usual solution up to 3-5km distance is some yagi antenna for WiFi. Plenty of guides for homemade types, or you can order some directly from common webshops.
Usually legal (as long as you don't tamper with the output power of the router), but better check the local laws first.

1. How does transmitting RF signals directly to a receiver in line of sight work?

Transmitting RF (radio frequency) signals involves sending electromagnetic waves through the air. These waves carry information and can be used for communication. When the transmitter and receiver are in line of sight, there is a clear path for the waves to travel, allowing for a stronger and more reliable signal.

2. What is the advantage of transmitting RF signals directly to a receiver in line of sight?

The advantage of transmitting RF signals directly to a receiver in line of sight is that there is less interference from obstacles such as buildings, trees, or other objects. This results in a clearer and stronger signal, making it easier for the receiver to pick up and interpret the information being transmitted.

3. What are some common applications of transmitting RF signals directly to a receiver in line of sight?

Transmitting RF signals in line of sight is commonly used in various forms of wireless communication, such as radio and television broadcasting, satellite communication, and wireless internet. It is also used in remote control devices, such as garage door openers and keyless entry systems.

4. Are there any limitations to transmitting RF signals directly to a receiver in line of sight?

Yes, there are some limitations to this method of transmission. The distance between the transmitter and receiver must be within the range of the signal, and there must be a clear line of sight between them. Additionally, weather conditions and other environmental factors can affect the strength and quality of the signal.

5. How can I improve the transmission of RF signals directly to a receiver in line of sight?

To improve the transmission of RF signals, you can use devices such as amplifiers or repeaters to boost the signal strength. Additionally, choosing a higher frequency for the signal can also improve its range and reliability. Ensuring that there are no obstructions in the line of sight between the transmitter and receiver can also help improve the transmission.