Transmit/Receive analog signals

In summary, the conversation is about building a system that can transmit and receive a voltage signal wirelessly. The distance between the transmitter and receiver would be around 5 meters. The person is looking for recommendations on easy-to-use components for this purpose and asks if this project is achievable for a beginner. Suggestions include commercially available wireless thermometers or building one from scratch if the person has experience with electronic assembly. It is also suggested to consider using an infrared transmitter and receiver if there is a clear line-of-sight.
nlis12
I'm completely new to transmitting/receiving signals, but I wanted to get a scope of what kind of components are out there that I could use to build this system.

I wanted to read the voltage drop across a resistance thermometer (Vt) and send this signal wirelessly to another circuit, where I could then read Vt on the receiving end. The distance between the transmitter/receiver would be ~5meters, so not too far.

Can someone recommend some components that may be easy to use for this purpose?
Is this project simple or do you think its something a beginner wouldn't be able to achieve?

Any input is much appreciated!

Thank You.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A search, https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=wireless+thermometer turns up many results of commercially available ones. If you can adapt one of those, it would be much cheaper (and easier) than building it from scratch.

To expand the search to wider temperatures, partially type in the search term and look at the suggested search options.

I take it that this is your real question.
nlis12 said:
Is this project simple or do you think its something a beginner wouldn't be able to achieve?
If you can do electronic assembly (know which end of a solder iron to pick up :wink:), you could build one, of course you would have to find an appropriate design or design it yourself.

Likes nlis12
Tom.G said:
A search, https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=wireless+thermometer turns up many results of commercially available ones. If you can adapt one of those, it would be much cheaper (and easier) than building it from scratch.

To expand the search to wider temperatures, partially type in the search term and look at the suggested search options.

I take it that this is your real question.

If you can do electronic assembly (know which end of a solder iron to pick up :wink:), you could build one, of course you would have to find an appropriate design or design it yourself.

This is perfect, I had no idea these things existed!
I'll look into some receivers!
Thanks!

BTW, if you can be sure of a clear line-of-sight, you might consider using an IR Tx/Rx pair. You will still need to search for available modules, but IR can be more reliable that RF, depending on what sources of RF interference (or competition in the case of WiFi) there are.

Likes Tom.G
nlis12 said:
I'll look into some receivers!
Many/most of the consumer ones include both the transmitter and receiver with a visible digital display. If you need an electrical output, it might, or might not, be easiest to decode the drive to the digital display.

1. What is the purpose of transmitting and receiving analog signals?

Analog signals are used to transfer information, such as audio or video, over a distance. They are essential for communication systems as they allow for the transmission of continuous data without losing quality.

2. How do analog signals differ from digital signals?

Analog signals are continuous and can take on any value, while digital signals are discrete and can only have a limited number of values. Analog signals are also more susceptible to interference and noise, whereas digital signals can be encoded and decoded to reduce errors.

3. What devices are used to transmit and receive analog signals?

Transmitters and receivers are the two main devices used to transmit and receive analog signals. Transmitters convert the analog signal into a form that can be transmitted through a medium, such as radio waves or electrical cables. Receivers then receive the signal and convert it back into its original form.

4. What are the advantages of analog signaling?

Analog signaling allows for the transmission of continuous data, which is essential for audio and video communication. It also has a lower cost compared to digital signaling, making it more accessible for certain applications. Additionally, analog signals have a higher bandwidth compared to digital signals, allowing for the transmission of larger amounts of data.

5. How does the quality of an analog signal affect the transmission and reception?

The quality of an analog signal can greatly impact the transmission and reception of the signal. If the signal is weak or distorted, it can be difficult for the receiver to accurately interpret the data. This can result in a loss of quality and possibly errors in the received signal. Therefore, it is important to maintain a strong and clear analog signal for efficient transmission and reception.