Transpose Property (where's my mistake)

In summary, the conversation discusses a mistake made while proving the equation ##\left(AB\right)^T = B^T A^T## using Einstein notation. The mistake is in the last equality, where the indices of ##A## were changed without proper justification.
member 428835
Hi PF!

When proving ##\left(AB\right)^T = B^T A^T## I was thinking of writing ##\left(AB\right)_{ij} = A_{ik} B_{kj} = D_{ij}##. Then ##\left(D\right)^T_{ij} = D_{ji} = A_{jk} B_{ki} = A^TB^T## but clearly this is incorrect. Can someone tell me where my mistake is made?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
##\left(D\right)^T_{ij} = D_{ji} = A_{jk} B_{ki} = A^TB^T## but clearly this is incorrect.
Yes, the last equality is incorrect.
Hint: ##A_{jk}B_{ki} = (A^T)_{kj}(B^T)_{ik}##.

joshmccraney said:
Hi PF!

When proving ##\left(AB\right)^T = B^T A^T## I was thinking of writing ##\left(AB\right)_{ij} = A_{ik} B_{kj} = D_{ij}##. Then ##\left(D\right)^T_{ij} = D_{ji} = A_{jk} B_{ki} = A^TB^T## but clearly this is incorrect. Can someone tell me where my mistake is made?

Thanks!

You are using Einstein notation, right?

micromass said:
You are using Einstein notation, right?
I am, and I think I found the mistake. ##A## initially had a different index, so changing that doesn't make sense, correct?

1. What is the Transpose Property?

The Transpose Property is a mathematical rule that states when you switch two terms in an equation, the resulting equation remains true. This is often used when solving equations or simplifying expressions.

2. What is the purpose of the Transpose Property?

The Transpose Property is used to rearrange terms in an equation in order to make it easier to solve or simplify. It is especially useful when dealing with variables and unknown values.

3. Is the Transpose Property applicable to all mathematical operations?

Yes, the Transpose Property can be applied to all mathematical operations, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

4. Can the Transpose Property be used on both sides of the equation?

Yes, the Transpose Property can be used on both sides of the equation. This means that you can switch terms on either side of the equation without changing its validity.

5. What are common mistakes when using the Transpose Property?

One common mistake when using the Transpose Property is forgetting to switch the sign of a term when switching its position in the equation. Another mistake is not applying the Transpose Property to both sides of the equation, leading to an invalid solution.