Transverse harmonic wave Equation

In summary, the problem is to find the average speed of a transverse harmonic wave traveling on a rope with a given mass density and expression, and to determine the correct formula to use for this calculation. The equation y(x,t) = 0.18sin(2.2x + 17.1t) and the mass density μ = 0.146 kg/m are given, and the textbook should have a discussion of an equation like y(x,t) = 0.18sin(2.2x + 17.1t) and how the velocity is related to that. The average speed is calculated by dividing the change in displacement by the period, and it is important to clarify whether the question is asking for
ctwokay

Homework Statement

A transverse harmonic wave travels on a rope according to the following expression:
y(x,t) = 0.18sin(2.2x + 17.1t)
The mass density of the rope is μ = 0.146 kg/m. x and y are measured in meters and t in seconds.

Homework Equations

I do not know what to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use change in wavelength / time but could not get the answer.
Tried to use v=f*lamda, and use T=1/f but no avail.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have not given us a problem in your problem statement - what is it you are supposed to do?
Guessing you are trying to find the wave-speed. In which case, [itex]v=f\lambda[/itex] is correct - show your working.

The equation for y(x,t) has three numbers in it - do you know what they mean?

hint: [itex]y(x,t)=Asin(kx-\omega t)[/itex]

Last edited:
ctwokay said:
The mass density of the rope is μ = 0.146 kg/m.
I know of one and only one formula that makes use of the mass density of a rope or string. If you can find that formula (in your textbook or class notes), I'll bet it will be useful for solving this problem.

@Redbelly98: That's what I was wondering - if the object is to find the speed of the waves then the wave equation contains all the information needed so why include the mass-density (except as a red-herring)? But if the object is, say, to find the tension in the string - that's a different story.

Agreed. The OP will need to tell us what the actual question is.

Be that as it may, the textbook should have a discussion of an equation like:
y(x,t) = 0.18sin(2.2x + 17.1t)
and how the velocity is related to that.

Indeed it should!
Though some text-books make a hash of it.
I don't want to assume anything though ... that would just make an *** out of u and me.
[huh: joke censored!]

Since the question is unknown, perhaps the answer is 42?

Simon Bridge said:
You have not given us a problem in your problem statement - what is it you are supposed to do?
Guessing you are trying to find the wave-speed. In which case, [itex]v=f\lambda[/itex] is correct - show your working.

The equation for y(x,t) has three numbers in it - do you know what they mean?

hint: [itex]y(x,t)=Asin(kx-\omega t)[/itex]

I am trying to find the average speed of the rope during one complete oscillation of the rope

the average speed is change of displacement / period is that right?

ctwokay said:
the average speed is change of displacement / period is that right?
That's the average velocity. Do they ask for average speed or average velocity?

Redbelly98 said:
That's the average velocity. Do they ask for average speed or average velocity?

They are asking for average speed

Each part of the rope has a speed in the x direction and a speed in the y direction.

For the y direction, displacement over time will give you zero, since, at the end of one period, the displacement is zero and part of the velocity is negative.

There are several ways to do this - directly: you get vy(t) by -

[tex]v_y(t)=\frac{dy(t)}{dt}[/tex]

You are given y(t), you can do the differentiation, so how would you go from vy(t) to speed to average speed? The problem is to ensure your understanding of this.

1. What is the Transverse Harmonic Wave Equation?

The Transverse Harmonic Wave Equation (also known as the wave equation) is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of a wave as it travels through a medium. It relates the wave's frequency, wavelength, and speed to each other.

2. What are the variables in the Transverse Harmonic Wave Equation?

The variables in the Transverse Harmonic Wave Equation are frequency (f), wavelength (λ), and speed (v).

3. How is the Transverse Harmonic Wave Equation derived?

The Transverse Harmonic Wave Equation is derived from the principles of wave mechanics, specifically the concept of superposition of waves. It can also be derived using the principles of differential equations.

4. What are the applications of the Transverse Harmonic Wave Equation?

The Transverse Harmonic Wave Equation has many applications in science and engineering, including studying the behavior of sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and seismic waves. It is also used in fields such as acoustics, optics, and signal processing.

5. How does the Transverse Harmonic Wave Equation relate to the wave-particle duality?

The Transverse Harmonic Wave Equation is a classical description of a wave, but it is also related to the wave-particle duality of quantum mechanics. In quantum mechanics, particles are described as both waves and particles, and the wave function is related to the Transverse Harmonic Wave Equation. This shows the interconnectedness and complexity of wave behavior in the physical world.