1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transverse Wave on a Hanging Cord

1. Mar 30, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Transverse Wave on a Hanging Cord

Problem. A uniform cord of length L and mass m is hung vertically from a support. (a) Show that the speed of tranverse waves in this cord is [itex]\sqrt{gh}[/itex] where h is the height above the lower end. (b) How long does it take for a pulse to travel upward from one end to the other?

For (a), I know that the speed of a transverse wave on a cord is given by [itex]v = \sqrt{T/\mu}[/itex] where T is the tension on the cord and [itex]\mu[/itex] is the linear density. As far as I understand, T = mg and [itex]\mu = m/L[/itex] so [itex]v = \sqrt{gL}[/itex]. Now, unless h = L (which I know isn't), I don't see how h plays a role here.

The answer to (b) is just L/v obviously.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Realize that the tension varies along the length of the cord.

4. Mar 30, 2007 #3
    Let's measure the cord from the bottom up with the bottom being y = 0 until y = L. Then tension on the cord at y is [itex]\mu y g[/itex]. Is that what you mean when you wrote that the tension varies along the cord?

5. Mar 30, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Absolutely. Using the terminology of the problem statement, [itex]T = \mu g h[/itex].

6. Mar 30, 2007 #5
    Ah, OK. I get it now. I thought h was some constant like L, not a variable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?