1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Travelling wave: finding the velocity from displacement

1. Feb 23, 2016 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
    Hi everyone. I have trouble finding the velocity of a travelling wave give some information about it's displacement. I am given D (x,t)= 1 cm if |x - 4t| <\= 1 &&&D (x,t) = 0 cm if |x - 4t| > 1. I don't know how to interpret these mathematical statements. I've been trying for 3 hours now :(. I have the feeling that it's simple but I simply don't get it. 1) Do they mean that the wave number k=1 and the angular frequency omega=4? ( Inferred from the formula D (x,t)= A cos ( kx +/- wt + phase constant). Does it also mean that the phase constant =0 rad? 2) Am I able to draw a snapshot or hiatory graph from these statements only? If so, can someone give me a hint as of how to proceed? 3) I am asked to find the velocity of the wave. Hint as of how to do that please? Thanks in advance for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2016 #2
    Sorry for the typos!

4. Feb 23, 2016 #3
    This is not a sine wave but a pulse. You cannot identify k and omega. But you don't need to.
    You can draw the wave at t=0 (for example) and then at some other value of t. 1 second, maybe.
    This will show you how the wave front travels.

5. Feb 24, 2016 #4
    Thank you! I drew the wave at t=0s and and at t=1s and found the the displacement over one second (velocity)!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted