Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Treating parallel electromagnets as current carrying wires.

1. May 3, 2006 #1
    Right i'm doing a piece of work that needs a simple question answering.

If you had two parallel electromagnets, between them a metal sheet that is being constantly vibrated with the electromagnets being used to dampen these vibrations, can you treat them as two current-carrying wires and use the equation* to determine the strength of the magnetic field?
    *http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/2038/img510kr.gif [Broken]

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Why don't you change your new PF sign-in handle and try asking the question again? You'll get treated a lot more seriously here with a reasonable handle.

4. May 4, 2006 #3
    daffodildo at birth, daffodildo at death.

Pffft, this is racism, just in a different form.

5. May 4, 2006 #4

berkeman

We have no control over our race, hence racism is bad. We *do* have control over what handle we choose, and maybe a little thought on your part will result in a more appropriate handle for a technical forum like PF. Daffodildo is probably a pretty catchy handle for chat rooms and such, but PF is about technical information sharing. It's up to you, but I'd recommend a change. Like I said, you'll probably get a fair amount more help and be taken more seriously with a more appropriate handle for this website. My two cents. -Mike-

6. May 4, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bit harsh isn't it mate? I mean if he wants a daft name, thats his choice :tongue2:

~H

7. May 4, 2006 #6

berkeman

Well, I guess you're right. And don't get me wrong, I have nothing against dildos. In the proper, er, hands, they can be a wonderful tool. :rolleyes: But they're just not what I generally have on my mind when I stop by the good old PF. Whatever. Fire away Daffod..., er, I mean ask away!

8. May 4, 2006 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So many puns in there, I don't know where to start. :biggrin:

~H

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook