Triangle Inequality for integrals proof

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of the triangle inequality to prove that ∫|x+y| ≤ ∫|x| + ∫|y|. The poster suggests using the linearity of integration and the fact that integration preserves inequalities to prove this statement.
Henry365

Homework Statement

What I want to show is this:
∫|x+y| ≤ ∫|x| + ∫|y|

Homework Equations

|x+y| ≤ |x| + |y|

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought if I used the triangle inequality I could get to something along the lines of:

Lets g belong to the real numbers
∫|x+y| = ∫|x+g-g+y|≤ ∫|x+g| + |y-g|= ∫|x+g| + ∫|y-g|

As g belongs to the reals it can be zero meaning ∫|x+y| ≤ ∫|x| + ∫|y|.

Now the problem with this is that is uses the triangle inequality and I have no idea if the triangle inequality works this way, and if it does I need to prove it, and I have no idea about where to start that from.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose I am necro-posting here, but this result follows from two facts. One is the linearity of integration:
[tex]\int (f(x)+g(x)) \, dx = \int f(x) \, dx + \int g(x) \, dx,[/tex]
and the other is that integration preserves inequalities: if [itex]f(x) \le g(x)[/itex] on the interval [itex] [a,b] [/itex], then
[tex] \int_{a}^{b}f(x) \, dx \le \int_{a}^{b} g(x) \, dx. [/tex]

1. What is the Triangle Inequality for integrals?

The Triangle Inequality for integrals states that the absolute value of the integral of a function is less than or equal to the integral of the absolute value of the function. In other words, the area under a curve cannot be greater than the sum of the areas of its individual components.

2. Why is the Triangle Inequality for integrals important?

The Triangle Inequality for integrals is important because it allows us to make comparisons between different integrals and determine which one is larger or smaller. It also helps us to understand the behavior of functions and their integrals.

3. How is the Triangle Inequality for integrals used in mathematics?

The Triangle Inequality for integrals is used in various areas of mathematics, such as calculus, analysis, and geometry. It is a fundamental concept that is used to prove the convergence of integrals, to establish bounds for functions, and to solve optimization problems.

4. Can the Triangle Inequality for integrals be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Triangle Inequality for integrals can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, the concept of the triangle inequality can be extended to any normed vector space, not just integrals. This allows us to make comparisons between different mathematical objects in higher dimensions.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Triangle Inequality for integrals?

Yes, there are exceptions to the Triangle Inequality for integrals. For example, in certain cases where the function is discontinuous, the inequality may not hold. Additionally, the inequality may not hold for certain types of oscillatory functions. However, in most cases, the Triangle Inequality for integrals holds true and is a valuable tool in mathematical analysis.