1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig adding/subtracting and double angle formulas help

1. Nov 25, 2007 #1
    i am so lost in this area and have huge test coming up on tuesday
    and we dont have books for this unit either so i cant study or look at examples for that
    i was wondering if you guys could find me website(s) which shows how to solve equations like these:

find exact values:
    sin 67.5 degrees

i looked alot but couldnt find websites that would explain this easily
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

67.5 degrees? the first thing I would do is subtract from 90: 90- 67.5= 22.5 or subtract 45 from it: 67.5- 45= 22.5. Now that's interesting! 22.5= 45/2, of course so sin(67.5)= sin(45+ 45/2) or sin(67.5)= sin(90- 45/2). Okay, what are the "sum and difference formulas" for sin? And, of course, you will need the 1/2 angle formulas. Do you know a formula for sin(x/2) or cos(x/2)?
  4. Nov 25, 2007 #3
    i know formulas for sin 2x and cos 2x
    sin 2x = 2sinxcosx
    we never really did 1/2 angle only double angle formulas

also we wont be allowed calculators on our test and we will only be dealing with radians
    thats what i need help in is how to convert 67.5 into radians quickly

i know that you have to divide 67.5 by 180 to get radian value but say if i get a huger number like 657 and have to convert to radians without a calculator how would i do tat

thanks alot 4 ur help

also any websites will be help full too
  5. Nov 25, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

Well the half angle formulas are very easy to make it is simply replacing the x by x/2
    e.g. if sin2x=2sinxcosx then sinx=2sin(x/2)cos(x/2)
  6. Nov 25, 2007 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?