Trig function appears awkward to integrate

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help in finding the length of a locus described by the bottom of a raised garage door. They encountered difficulty in integrating a function and resorted to numerical integration, which yielded a correct result. The conversation ended with a recommendation to look into elliptic functions as a possible solution method.
Edmundb
I hope this isn't too simple for the maths forum.

I'm trying to find the length of the locus described by the bottom of a garage door as it is raised. It's all fairly straightforward until I have to integrate a function of the form

√ (sin2θ + k cos2θ)

k does not depend on θ. I tried several approaches to the problem and always came back to the above function.

In the end I integrated numerically and got my number which checks with reality. There's probably some nifty substitution but just I can't find it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you very much indeed. That looks like the clue I need. (As you've probably gathered I'm an Engineer and not a mathematician.)

1. Why is it difficult to integrate trigonometric functions?

Integrating trigonometric functions can be difficult because they involve complex mathematical relationships and often require the use of special techniques such as substitution or trigonometric identities.

2. What are the most common techniques used to integrate trigonometric functions?

The most common techniques used to integrate trigonometric functions include substitution, trigonometric identities, and integration by parts.

3. Can all trigonometric functions be integrated?

No, not all trigonometric functions can be integrated. Some functions, such as secant and cosecant, do not have simple antiderivatives and require more advanced techniques to integrate.

4. How can I improve my ability to integrate trigonometric functions?

Practice and familiarity with trigonometric identities and integration techniques can improve your ability to integrate trigonometric functions. It may also be helpful to review basic algebra and calculus concepts.

5. Are there any tips for making the integration of trigonometric functions easier?

One tip for making the integration of trigonometric functions easier is to carefully analyze the given function and try to identify any patterns or trigonometric identities that can be used. It may also be helpful to break the function into smaller parts and integrate each part separately.