1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig, how long is the graph under y=0

Tags:
  1. Nov 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f(x)=20+25*sin(0.85x)
    x = number of hours from start. f(x) = temperature.
    For how long is the temperature negative (under 0) during the first 10 hours? We haven't learned how to derive/integrate trig equations so that is out of the question.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Most people with similar problems have said they used their graph calculator to solve these kinds of questions. I tried figuring out the period (7.39) and took the half of that + the remaining 2.61 but during those there is no more under the graph. So the answer would seem to be around 3.7 but it is only 1.5. How do I use my graph calculator (TI-84) to solve this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You could set f(x) = 0 and solve the resulting equation. There are two values of x in the interval 0 ≤ x ≤ 10 for which f(x) = 0. Find these values and you'll have the interval where the temperature is negative.

4. Nov 6, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need calculus to solve this problem. You just need to find out for 0≤x≤10 where f(x) < 0. You can use a little algebra to clean things up a bit.

Instead of using your calculator to think for you, try working the problem out by analyzing it. You're not going to school to learn how to work a calculator, but how to learn to analyze and solve problems.

5. Nov 6, 2014 #4
    I'd like to thank you Mark44 and SteamKing. Stupid of me to miss that!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted