Trig Identities that I can't get a grip on

In summary, the given trig identity is solved by using the identities tan(A+B) and tan(A-B) to simplify the expression. The variable y is assigned as pi/4 and x as x, resulting in (tanx+tanpi/4)/(1-tanxtanpi/4) for tan(pi/4+x). By using these identities, the final simplified expression is 2sinxcosx, proving the given identity.
Fractal314
[tan(pi/4+x)-tan(pi/4-x)]/[tan(pi/4+x)+tan(pi/4-x)]=2sinxcosx

I tried to prove this trig identity but I an really stuck. I think tan of pi/4 is '1', and if I do that then my numerator becomes zero, thus zero=2sinxcosx. But that can't be right, so I don't know what to do now.

LS= (1+tanx-1-tanx)/(1+tanx+1-tanx)

I get 0=2sinxcosx

Any thoughts? Also, I am wondering where this advanced formatting option is or how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to use the identities

tan(A+B)=(tanA+tanB)/(1-tanA*tanB)

tan(A-B)=(tanA-tanB)/(1+tanA*tanB)

Thankyou Overt, I did not see it.

So would I be right in assigning 'y' as pi/4? and let 'x' be 'x'?

For tan(pi/4+x) I will instead get (tanx+tanpi/4)/(1-tanxtanpi/4)?

Correct!

1. What are the basic trig identities?

The basic trig identities are sine, cosine, tangent, cosecant, secant, and cotangent. These identities are used to relate the angles and sides of a right triangle.

2. How do I use the Pythagorean identities?

The Pythagorean identities are used to simplify trigonometric expressions. They state that sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1 and tan^2(x) + 1 = sec^2(x). These identities can be used to rewrite complex trigonometric expressions as simpler ones.

3. What is the difference between reciprocal and quotient identities?

Reciprocal identities involve the reciprocal of a trigonometric function, such as cosecant, secant, and cotangent. Quotient identities involve the quotient of two trigonometric functions, such as tangent and cotangent.

4. How do I prove trig identities?

To prove a trig identity, you can use algebraic manipulations and the basic trig identities. Start by rewriting the expression on one side using the basic identities, then manipulate both sides until they are equal.

5. What are the double angle identities?

The double angle identities involve the trigonometric functions of double angles, such as sin(2x), cos(2x), and tan(2x). These identities can be used to simplify expressions and solve equations involving double angles.