1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Solve for Solution Within Interval

1. Sep 28, 2006 #1
    Hi, I have a problem that says to solve this equation for the interval 0<theta<2 pie which is one revolution of the unit circle. The equation is:

(square root of 2)(cos 2theta) = 1

The cos2theta is a double angle, but I couldn't find any solutions for theta that would = 1 at the end. The answer has to fit in for the theta angle. Is this possibly no solution? I had originally put pie/4 as an answer but realized I forgot the parenthesis in the calculator and now I need to redo the problem. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2006 #2
    Draw the unit circle in the x-y cartesian plane. If you rotate around the circle by an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] counterclockwise wrt the positive x-axis, then [itex]\cos{\theta}[/itex] is the x-coordinate of the resulting point. So what [itex]\theta[/itex] will make [itex]\cos{\theta} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] (HINT: What's [itex]2(1/\sqrt{2})^2[/itex]?)?

Edit: courtrigrad I suggest plugging [itex]\pi / 2[/itex] into [itex]\sqrt{2}\cos{2\theta}[/itex] and seeing what you get :tongue2:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  4. Sep 28, 2006 #3
    my fault it should have been [tex] \theta = \frac{\pi}{8} [/tex]. I multiplied instead of divided.

5. Sep 28, 2006 #4
    You can give a closed form for [itex]\theta[/itex].

Edit: :smile:

6. Sep 28, 2006 #5
    [tex] \theta = \frac{\pi}{8} + 2n\pi [/tex]

7. Sep 28, 2006 #6
    he said [itex] 0 < \theta < 2\pi[/itex] though (of course, there's still [itex]\theta = \frac{15}{8} \pi[/itex]!) :tongue:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  8. Sep 28, 2006 #7
    Thank you both so much for the help! I really appreciate it and understand now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?