Trigonometric and inverse trigonometric equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a correspondent inverse for trigonometric equations and how to find it using geometry. The concept of duality or correspondence is also mentioned, but it is noted that there must be a clear definition in order to identify and apply it.
Jhenrique
Given a trig equation, like: sin(x)² + cos(x)² = 1² or sin(x) = 1/csc(x), exist a correspondent inverse: arcsin(x) + arccos(x) = π/2 and arcsin(x) = arccsc(1/x), respectively. Thus, given an any trigonometric equation, how find its correspondent inverse?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Use geometry.

i.e. in a right angle triangle with unit hypotenuse and x=adjacent side, then
... ##x=\sin\theta=\cos(\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta)##

Thus ##\arcsin(x)=\theta## and ##\arccos(x)=\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta## so ##\arcsin(x)+\arccos(x)=\frac{\pi}{2}##

But notice that this has nothing much to do with the identity: ##\sin^2x + \cos^2x =1## i.e. the "x" in that relation refers to something different... the only "correspondence" is that the expression have a "cos" and a "sin" and a "+" in them. Do not confuse correspondences in labels for correspondences in maths.

Simon Bridge said:
Use geometry.

Would you find the analogous inverse for all equations below using geometry?
http://s8.postimg.org/82n2lmlg5/imagem.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Define analogous in this context.

Simon Bridge said:
Define analogous in this context.

Look how a trigonometric equation have an analogous inverse trigonometric equation:
img.png

I don't see any rule that those have in common - except the general stuff that they have some elements in common. The notation has them make pretty patterns on the page but that is just numerology at best. The only way to identify a pleasing pattern is to try lots of things and look.

Please provide the definition that you want to work to... how would you describe the analogous nature is such a way that another person can go look for it rather than rely on recognizing it after the fact?

I think there is a genuine, though not precisely defined, duality here. For example, the dual of the identity ##2\sin^2 x = 1 - \cos 2x## is ##\arccos(1-2y^2) = 2\arcsin(\left|y\right|).##

(Note: the absolute value comes into the picture because ##\arccos(\cos(x)) = \left|x\right|## -- at least in the range that we care about.)

You can obtain these by simple algebra.

EDIT: I should point out that not all of the identities have nice "inverses". For example, there isn't a nice inverse of ##\sin 2x = 2\sin x \cos x## as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Does that same duality apply to all the examples given?

Well, I didn't check the ones involving the hyperbolic functions, but it is the same thing that is going on in the first and last sets in the above post.

EDIT: Obviously it has nothing to do with the identity in the original post, though -- I don't think there's any clear relationship between ##\sin^2 x + \cos^2 x = 1## and ##\arcsin x + \arccos x = \pi/2##. I think the "dual" of the Pythagorean identity is more like ##\arccos(\sqrt{1-y^2}) = \arcsin(\sqrt{y^2})##.

Last edited:
Actually, the correspondent of ##\arcsin(x)+\arccos(x)= \frac{\pi}{2}## is ##\sin(\theta) = \cos(\phi)## where ##\theta + \phi = \frac{\pi}{2}##

Well if you two can thrash out a definition you can agree on, we may have something to talk about ;)

My contention is that unless the "correspondence" or "dual" can be articulated from the start, then it will not be possible to find the relations asked for.

The short answer to the question posed in post #1 is: you cannot, because the problem is too vaguely phrased.

What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves the trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant. These equations involve one or more variables and are used to solve for unknown angles or sides in a triangle.

What are the most commonly used trigonometric identities?

The most commonly used trigonometric identities are the Pythagorean identities (sin^2θ + cos^2θ = 1), the sum and difference identities (sin(A ± B) = sinAcosB ± cosAsinB), and the double angle identities (sin2θ = 2sinθcosθ).

What is an inverse trigonometric equation?

An inverse trigonometric equation is an equation that involves the inverse trigonometric functions such as arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent. These equations are used to find the angle or side in a right triangle given the ratio of sides or angles.

How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you first need to isolate the trigonometric function on one side of the equation. Then, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, substitution, and the quadratic formula to solve for the variable.

What are some real-life applications of trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are used in many fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. They are used to calculate distances, angles, and heights in real-life situations such as measuring the height of a building or determining the trajectory of a projectile.