Trigonometric Equations: Solving 2 sin^2x - 4 cos^2x = 0 for x in [0°,360°]

• Thread starter disregardthat
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving a trigonometric equation 2sin^2x - 4cos^2x = 0, with x ranging from 0° to 360°. The person has attempted to solve it by dividing with cos^2x and using the identity sin2x + cos2x = 1, but is unable to get all the answers. They then try substituting cos2x with 1-sin2x, but it is not the correct approach. Eventually, they find the equation cos^2x = 1/3 and realize that they need to take the square root and consider both positive and negative solutions to get all four answers.
disregardthat
Science Advisor

Homework Statement

Hi, I wonder how to solve, and how to get the correct answer\answers to these types of problems:

[tex]2 \sin^2{x} - 4 \cos^2{x} = 0[/tex] [tex] x \in [0°,360°] [/tex]

There are many answers to this. I would really like to know how the correct way to get all of them.

Homework Equations

I do not know any relevant equations for this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tryed to divide them with [tex]\cos^2(x)[/tex] to get [tex] \tan^2(x)[/tex] But it has not worked.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, firstly can you reduce the expression to contain only one of sinx or cosx by using the relationship sin2x+cos2x=1?

No, I do not know how to do it! :\

Then you need to learn algebra! Since sin2x+ cos2x= 1, cos2x= 1- sin2x. Now replace cos2x in your equation by 1- sin2 x.

Oh, I misunderstood. Of course...

I found this equation:

[tex]\cos^2(x) = \frac{1}{3}[/tex] But how do get all the answers? There are four.

If i square root bot sides, I will get two answers, (which are correct) but not all of them... How is the right way?

I just found out, I took the square root, and the answer must also be negative...

Related to Trigonometric Equations: Solving 2 sin^2x - 4 cos^2x = 0 for x in [0°,360°]

What is "Squared Trigonometrics"?

"Squared Trigonometrics" refers to the mathematical concept of squaring trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. This involves taking the trigonometric function and multiplying it by itself, resulting in a squared value.

Why is "Squared Trigonometrics" important?

"Squared Trigonometrics" is important because it allows for the simplification and manipulation of trigonometric expressions, making it easier to solve equations and problems involving trigonometric functions.

What are the basic squared trigonometric identities?

The basic squared trigonometric identities are:- sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1- tan^2(x) + 1 = sec^2(x)- 1 + cot^2(x) = csc^2(x)These identities are useful in simplifying and solving trigonometric equations and can be derived using the Pythagorean theorem.

How is "Squared Trigonometrics" used in real life?

"Squared Trigonometrics" has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to calculate distances, angles, and forces in various structures and objects. For example, it is used in surveying to determine the height of buildings and in navigation to calculate the trajectory of a rocket.

Can "Squared Trigonometrics" be extended beyond basic trigonometric functions?

Yes, "Squared Trigonometrics" can be extended to other trigonometric functions, such as secant, cosecant, and cotangent. These identities can be derived using the reciprocal relationships between the basic trigonometric functions and their squared values.