1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometric identity from Euler's intro to analysis of infinite

1. May 2, 2013 #1
    So I'm trying to get through euler's introduction to the analysis of the infinite so I could eventually read his books on calculus but I'm stuck somewhere and can't seem to figure out how he equates this identity euler_trig.png

so by expanding I get sin(2y) * cos(z) + cos(2y) * sin(z).

I get that the second term of the equation [cos(2y) * sin(z)] gives cos2y - sin2y which gives - sin z if you take the negative out of the factor but I can't seem to figure out how sin(2y) * cos(z) = 2cosy * sin(y + z). I just get 2siny * cosy * cosz and can't seem to do anything else.

I'm probably missing something terribly obvious like always happens but I'd really appreciate some help I have nobody I can ask in real life and I don't like to just move on because the book gets more complicated. This is on page 104 if anyone cares to know.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Left side:$$
    \sin(2y+z) = \sin(2y)\cos z + \cos(2y)\sin z =
    2\sin y\cos y \cos z + (2\cos^2y - 1)\sin z$$
    Right side:$$
    2\cos y(\sin y \cos z + \cos y \sin z)-\sin z=2\cos y \sin y \cos z
    +2\cos^2 y \sin z -\sin z$$Does that do it for you?

4. May 2, 2013 #3
    Yes, thank you very much, figures I just had to use basic identify [tex]sin^2x = 1 - cos^2x[/tex] and then simply factor to get to euler's answer.

I definitely should have seen that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook