TRIGONOMETRY equation derivation [HELP]

In summary: Using the law of cosines for two sides and an angle between them.6. Do some algebra.7. Hopefully you get something like the above.In summary, the equation for the signal length from a satellite to the Earth station (AC) is 2(H)/[{sin^2(theta)+(2(H)/R)}^1/2+sin(theta)] due to the Earth projection. The equation was derived using the law of cosines and considering the Earth as a circle with center O. The proof involves defining points A, B, and C in terms of the Earth and using the law of cosines for two sides
hgphtgi
The signal length from satellite to the Earth station (AC) can be found as

2(H)/[{sin^2(theta)+(2(H)/R)}^1/2+sin(theta)] Due to the Earth projection

where "H" is satellite height and and R is the Earth radius

My question is Can you help me to derive this equation? how they have obtained it?

Regards

Attachments

• f.png
    f.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
??

that's the wrong diagram :confused:

tiny-tim said:
??

that's the wrong diagram :confused:

No tiny, that is what i mean :) this is my question

hgphtgi said:
The signal length from satellite to the Earth station (AC) can be found as2(H)/[{sin^2(theta)+(2(H)/R)}^1/2+sin(theta)] Due to the Earth projection

where "H" is satellite height and and R is the Earth radius

My question is Can you help me to derive this equation? how they have obtained it?

Regards
What is theta in the diagram? I don't see it. Also, I'm assuming that ##\stackrel{\frown}{AC}## doesn't contain B, correct?

You aren't being very specific. If you want our help, give us the necessary information. :confused:

I'm thinking your equation is ##||\stackrel{\frown}{AC}||=\frac{2h}{\sqrt{\sin^2\theta+\frac{2h}{r}}+\sin(\theta)}##.

Edit:
Preliminarily (I don't know what theta is in the diagram), I'm thinking the rough outline of a proof might be along the lines of this:

1. Consider O (the center of earth) as the center of a coordinate system.
2. Defining points A, B, and C in terms of the Earth as a circle (set of all points equidistant from O)
3. Noting that arc AC is on a circle centered at some new point ##(x_1,y_1)## with radius ##\sqrt{x^2+(r+h-y_1)^2}##.
4. ##s=r\theta##

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of deriving a trigonometry equation?

The purpose of deriving a trigonometry equation is to understand the relationships between the different trigonometric functions and how they can be manipulated to solve complex problems involving triangles and angles.

2. How do you derive a trigonometry equation?

To derive a trigonometry equation, you use the basic principles of trigonometry, such as the Pythagorean theorem and the definitions of sine, cosine, and tangent, to manipulate the equation and solve for the desired variable.

3. Is it necessary to memorize trigonometry equations?

While it is helpful to have a basic understanding of the common trigonometry equations, it is not necessary to memorize them. It is more important to understand how to derive them and apply them to solve problems.

4. What are some common mistakes made when deriving trigonometry equations?

Some common mistakes when deriving trigonometry equations include forgetting to use the Pythagorean theorem, confusing the definitions of sine, cosine, and tangent, and making sign errors when simplifying the equations.

5. How can I improve my skills in deriving trigonometry equations?

To improve your skills in deriving trigonometry equations, practice solving a variety of problems involving triangles and angles. You can also review the basic principles of trigonometry and seek help from a tutor or teacher if you need further assistance.