1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometry Word Problem involving Inverse trigonometric functions

1. Aug 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ship is d feet from a dock (horizontal distance). The dock is 40 feet above sea level. The angle of depression from the dock to the ship is θ. Write θ as a function of d.

2. Relevant equations
    This question is accompanied with choices. The choices are
    [tex](A) θ = 40arctan(d)[/tex]
    [tex](B) θ = arctan(\frac{40}{d})[/tex]
    [tex](C) θ = arcsin(\frac{d}{60})[/tex]
    [tex](D) θ = \frac{arctan(d)}{40}[/tex]
    [tex](E) none of these[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I would like to know if my graphical representation of this problem is correct.
    s30opz.png
    Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you know the definitions of "sine", "tangent", etc.? If not, look them up. Once you know them you will see that this problem is trivial.

4. Aug 31, 2012 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is a very nice (and correct) drawing, with a very big ship.:smile:

ehild

5. Aug 31, 2012 #4
    Ok sir so if my interpretation of the problem is right, then it would be right if I answer choice B right? Thank you! :smile:

6. Aug 31, 2012 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

YES!

ehild

7. Aug 31, 2012 #6
    Yes! I made it right. I just wonder if my understanding was right because I'm not from an English-based country so some phrasing are not clear to me. Thank you everyone! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook