1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Integral in Cylindrical Coords

1. May 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Construct a triple integral in cylindrical coords to find the volume of the cone r=z, where the height (z value) is limited by z=L.
    Should be in the form => {int[b,a] int[d,c] int[f,e]} (r) {dr dtheta dz}
    (Sorry for weird formatting above, brackets purely to make terms more discernible)
    Then evaluate using this order of integration to find volume.

2. Relevant equations
    Volume of a cone => V=[(pi)(a)^2(L)]/3
    In a cylindrical coord system, r=z describes an inverted cone of infinite height

3. The attempt at a solution
    Currently working on an attempt, but if someone could help out with the understanding, that would be great. It doesn't immediately make alot of sense to me.
    i.e. r=z gives infinite height, but the volume is limited by L, so how do I find limits for that? Also can't see any immediate limits for theta in this situation.

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2012 #2
    What do you mean? The limits you are given are [itex]0 \ge z \ge L [/itex] and [itex] 0 \ge r \ge z [/itex]. Everything is bounded here. Try drawing a picture to see why the limits are as they are.

4. May 4, 2012 #3

sharks

Gold Member

I think you mean: [itex]0 \le z \le L [/itex] and [itex] 0 \le r \le z [/itex]

5. May 4, 2012 #4
    Whoops! Indeed L>0 :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook