Finding Flux Through a Cylinder with the Divergance Theorom

In summary: Your bounds for the triple integral should be 0 to 3 for r, 0 to 2pi for theta, and 0 to 5 for z. In summary, the divergence theorem was used to find the flux through a cylinder with a vector field of 4xi, a height of 5, and a radius of 3. Using cylindrical coordinates, the triple integral of 4 over the region of the cylinder was solved, but the resulting value of 4(5)(3)(2pi) was incorrect. The correct bounds for the triple integral should be 0 to 3 for r, 0 to 2pi for theta, and 0 to 5 for z to find the volume of the cylinder,
FAS1998

Homework Statement

[/B]
I’ve attached an image of the problem below.

I need to use the diveragance theorem to find the flux through a cylinder.

Vector field: F(x,y,z) = 4xi

Height: 5

Radius: 3

Homework Equations

By the DT, flux is equal to the triple integral of the divergence of the vector field.

The Attempt at a Solution

The divergence of the vector field is 4.

So the flux should be equal to the triple integral of 4 over the region of the cylinder.

Using cylindrical coordinates, I used the bounds 0 to 5 for z, 0 to 3 for r, and 0 to 2pi for theta.

Solving the triple integral then gave me 4(5)(3)(2pi), which was incorrect.

Can somebody help me figure out what I’m doing wrong?

Attachments

• EDE53E7B-4701-49D9-80F8-D78538AA7A03.jpeg
    EDE53E7B-4701-49D9-80F8-D78538AA7A03.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 228
Physics news on Phys.org
FAS1998 said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
I’ve attached an image of the problem below.

I need to use the diveragance theorem to find the flux through a cylinder.

Vector field: F(x,y,z) = 4xi

Height: 5

Radius: 3

Homework Equations

By the DT, flux is equal to the triple integral of the divergence of the vector field.

The Attempt at a Solution

The divergence of the vector field is 4.

So the flux should be equal to the triple integral of 4 over the region of the cylinder.

Using cylindrical coordinates, I used the bounds 0 to 5 for z, 0 to 3 for r, and 0 to 2pi for theta.

Solving the triple integral then gave me 4(5)(3)(2pi), which was incorrect.

Can somebody help me figure out what I’m doing wrong?

##3 \times 5 \times 2 \pi## is the surface area of the sides of your cylinder, but you need the volume, not the area.

Likes FAS1998

1. What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the flux (or flow) of a vector field through a closed surface to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field over the enclosed volume.

2. How is the Divergence Theorem used to find flux through a cylinder?

The Divergence Theorem can be applied to find the flux through a cylinder by considering the cylinder as a closed surface and calculating the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field over the enclosed volume.

3. What is the difference between a closed surface and an open surface?

A closed surface is a surface that completely encloses a volume, while an open surface does not enclose a volume and has an edge or boundary.

4. Can the Divergence Theorem be applied to any vector field?

Yes, the Divergence Theorem can be applied to any vector field that is continuous and differentiable over the enclosed volume.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Divergence Theorem to find flux through a cylinder?

One limitation is that the cylinder must have a smooth surface, meaning it cannot have any sharp edges or corners. Additionally, the vector field must be defined and continuous over the entire surface of the cylinder.