Finding Flux Through a Cylinder with the Divergance Theorom

  • Thread starter Thread starter FAS1998
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cylinder Flux
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
FAS1998
Messages
49
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


[/B]
I’ve attached an image of the problem below.

I need to use the diveragance theorem to find the flux through a cylinder.

Vector field: F(x,y,z) = 4xi

Height: 5

Radius: 3

Homework Equations



By the DT, flux is equal to the triple integral of the divergence of the vector field.

The Attempt at a Solution



The divergence of the vector field is 4.

So the flux should be equal to the triple integral of 4 over the region of the cylinder.

Using cylindrical coordinates, I used the bounds 0 to 5 for z, 0 to 3 for r, and 0 to 2pi for theta.

Solving the triple integral then gave me 4(5)(3)(2pi), which was incorrect.

Can somebody help me figure out what I’m doing wrong?
 
Attachments
  • EDE53E7B-4701-49D9-80F8-D78538AA7A03.jpeg
    EDE53E7B-4701-49D9-80F8-D78538AA7A03.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 357
Physics news on Phys.org
FAS1998 said:

Homework Statement


[/B]
I’ve attached an image of the problem below.

I need to use the diveragance theorem to find the flux through a cylinder.

Vector field: F(x,y,z) = 4xi

Height: 5

Radius: 3

Homework Equations



By the DT, flux is equal to the triple integral of the divergence of the vector field.

The Attempt at a Solution



The divergence of the vector field is 4.

So the flux should be equal to the triple integral of 4 over the region of the cylinder.

Using cylindrical coordinates, I used the bounds 0 to 5 for z, 0 to 3 for r, and 0 to 2pi for theta.

Solving the triple integral then gave me 4(5)(3)(2pi), which was incorrect.

Can somebody help me figure out what I’m doing wrong?

##3 \times 5 \times 2 \pi## is the surface area of the sides of your cylinder, but you need the volume, not the area.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: FAS1998