Trodimensional Fourier transform

In summary, the integral \mathcal{F}\{f(r)\}=\int e^{i\vec{k}\cdot \vec{r}}f(r)d\vec{r} in spherical polar coordinates can be expressed as \mathcal{F}\{f(r)\}=\int^{\infty}_0r^2dr\int^{\pi}_0\sin\theta d\theta\int^{\pi}_0d\varphi e^{ikr\cos \theta}f(r), where the dot product between two vectors is the product of their magnitudes and cosθ, with θ ranging from 0 to π. This can also be written as \mathcal{F}\{f
LagrangeEuler
[tex]\mathcal{F}\{f(r)\}=\int e^{i\vec{k}\cdot \vec{r}}f(r)d\vec{r}[/tex]
in spherical polar coordinates
[tex]\mathcal{F}\{f(r)\}=\int^{\infty}_0r^2dr\int^{\pi}_0\sin\theta d\theta\int^{\pi}_0d\varphi e^{ikr\cos \theta}f(r)[/tex]

Why could I take ##e^{ikr\cos \theta}## and to take that ##\theta## is angle which goes from zero to ##\pi##. Thanks for the answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to take φ from 0 to 2π in order to integrate over all space. As for your question (as best as I can understand it), the dot product between two vectors is the product of magnitude of the vectors and cosθ, where θ has the range [0,π].

LagrangeEuler said:
[tex]\mathcal{F}\{f(r)\}=\int e^{i\vec{k}\cdot \vec{r}}f(r)d\vec{r}[/tex]
in spherical polar coordinates
[tex]\mathcal{F}\{f(r)\}=\int^{\infty}_0r^2dr\int^{\pi}_0\sin\theta d\theta\int^{\pi}_0d\varphi e^{ikr\cos \theta}f(r)[/tex]

Why could I take ##e^{ikr\cos \theta}## and to take that ##\theta## is angle which goes from zero to ##\pi##. Thanks for the answer.

Could I use this also?
[tex]\mathcal{F}\{f(\vec{r})\}=\int^{\infty}_0r^2dr\int^{\pi}_0\sin\theta d\theta\int^{\pi}_0d\varphi e^{ikr\cos \theta}f(\vec{r})[/tex]

I thought that I can use ##e^{i\vec{k}\cdot \vec{r}}=e^{ikr\cos \theta}##, only when ##f(r)## is radial function.

1. What is a Trodimensional Fourier transform?

A Trodimensional Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that converts a signal or function from its original domain into a different domain, known as the frequency domain. It is a three-dimensional version of the more commonly known Fourier transform.

2. How is a Trodimensional Fourier transform different from a regular Fourier transform?

A regular Fourier transform operates on a one-dimensional signal or function, while a Trodimensional Fourier transform operates on a three-dimensional signal or function. This allows for more complex and accurate analysis of signals and functions in multiple dimensions.

3. What are the applications of Trodimensional Fourier transform?

Trodimensional Fourier transform has many applications in fields such as image processing, computer graphics, and medical imaging. It is also used in physics and engineering for analyzing complex multi-dimensional signals and systems.

4. What are the benefits of using Trodimensional Fourier transform?

Using Trodimensional Fourier transform allows for a more comprehensive analysis of signals and functions in multiple dimensions, providing a more accurate representation of the underlying data. It also simplifies calculations and makes it easier to analyze complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations to Trodimensional Fourier transform?

As with any mathematical operation, Trodimensional Fourier transform has its limitations. It is not suitable for analyzing non-stationary signals or functions, and it may not accurately capture certain types of noise in the data. Additionally, it requires a large amount of computational power and may be difficult to interpret for non-experts.