Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble following the derivation of Scott and Viner 1965

1. Oct 31, 2008 #1
    I've been reading the Scott and Viner AJP paper from 1965 "The Geometrical Appearance of Large Objects Moving at Relativistic Speeds" and I am having a little trouble following their derivation of the expression for x in the appendix of the paper.

I understand how they get the expression for t:

[tex]t = -[(x^2+y^2+(z-d)^2)^{1/2}-d]/c[/tex]

Which they put into the Lorentz transformation for x':

But, then they say that they want to get an expression for x, y, z in terms of x',y',z' which implies that they just solve the above expression for x. But, when I do that, I don't get anything at all like what they get.

I have looked at dozens of papers that reference this one and they all just start with Scott and Viner's results with no discussion of how they get there.

I feel like I'm missing something very simple, but I just don't see it.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't read the paper, but it sounds to me like you're trying to find the inverse of a matrix (or equivalently: solve a system of equations) by only looking at one of the rows (one of the equations).
  4. Oct 31, 2008 #3
    Right, that's what I'm trying to do, but I don't get their result:

[tex]x= \gamma((x'+\gamma\beta d)-\beta[(x'+\gamma\beta d)^2+y'^2+(z'-d)^2]^{1/2})[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?