Trouble understanding proof- infinitely many primes?

In summary: Which is what was claimed in the proof. In summary, this conversation discusses a proof by contradiction that shows there are infinitely many prime numbers. It involves assuming there are a finite number of primes and then reaching a contradiction by creating a new number that is not divisible by any of the assumed primes. This contradiction proves that the initial assumption was incorrect and there must be infinitely many primes. The portion in red is specifically discussing how the new number created is not divisible by any of the assumed primes, which leads to the contradiction.
SMA_01
I'm having trouble with this proof: Prove that there are infinitely many prime numbers, using proof by contradiction. My teacher gave it to us the first day of class, but I'm a little lost:

Assume there are finitely many prime number,
P1, P2, P3,...,Pn.

Let q=(P1*P2*P3*...*Pn)+1

Then, for all 1≤i≤n, Pi does not divide q, so therefore there must be at least Pn more prime, Pn+1.

Here we reach a contradiction since we assumed there were only n primes. Therefore our assumption is in error and there are infinitely many primes. #

I don't understand the portion in red. Can anyone please explain it in simple terms?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What part do you specifically not understand? That pi doesn't divide q?

It just means that based on how q is defined (all n primes multiplied, then one added) there is no prime that can divide q.

This suggests that p is either a prime itself or is not composed of prime factors.

The second case is impossible, and the first contradicts our claim of there being only n primes.

SMA_01 said:
I'm having trouble with this proof: Prove that there are infinitely many prime numbers, using proof by contradiction. My teacher gave it to us the first day of class, but I'm a little lost:

Assume there are finitely many prime number,
P1, P2, P3,...,Pn.

Let q=(P1*P2*P3*...*Pn)+1

Then, for all 1≤i≤n, Pi does not divide q, so therefore there must be at least Pn more prime, Pn+1.

Here we reach a contradiction since we assumed there were only n primes. Therefore our assumption is in error and there are infinitely many primes. #

I don't understand the portion in red. Can anyone please explain it in simple terms?

Thanks.
Instead of saying

you could expand this a little and say

Then, for all 1 ≤ i ≤ n, q ≡ 1 (mod Pi). Thus, Pi does not divide q, so therefore there must be at least one more prime, Pn+1.

I'm not sure how convincing this is, but maybe this will make it clear:

Let
[itex]k = x_{1}x_{2}...x_{n}[/itex] and [itex]x_{i} =/= 1[/itex]

In other words, k equals a bunch of numbers multiplied, and we aren't letting any of them be one (because they have no effect on the value of k.)

Now consider k + 1.

[itex]k + 1 = x_{1}x_{2}...x_{n} + 1[/itex]

Now let's assume that [itex]k + 1[/itex] is divisible by some [itex]x_{i}[/itex].

Then, there exists some integer [itex]l[/itex] such that [itex]x_{i}l = k + 1[/itex]

Then [itex]l = \frac{k}{x_{i}} + \frac{1}{x{i}}[/itex]

But this doesn't make sense. [itex]\frac{k}{x_{i}}[/itex] is guaranteed to be an integer because we know that k is divisible by [itex]x_{i}[/itex], and [itex]\frac{1}{x_{i}}[/itex] is guaranteed to not be an integer, because it is the reciprocal of some non-one number.

So, adding them together is guaranteed not to be an integer.

Therefore, there isn't a single [itex]x_{i}[/itex] that divides [itex]k+1[/itex].

1. What is a proof?

A proof is a logical argument that shows why a statement or claim is true. In mathematics, a proof is used to verify the validity of a mathematical statement or theorem.

2. Why is it important to understand the proof of infinitely many primes?

Understanding the proof of infinitely many primes is important because it is a fundamental theorem in number theory that has many applications in other areas of mathematics. It also helps to deepen our understanding of the concept of prime numbers and their properties.

3. What is the proof of infinitely many primes?

The proof of infinitely many primes, also known as Euclid's proof, states that there are infinitely many prime numbers. It does this by assuming that there is a largest prime number and then showing that this leads to a contradiction, thus proving that there is no largest prime number and therefore infinitely many primes must exist.

4. Is the proof of infinitely many primes difficult to understand?

The proof of infinitely many primes can be challenging to understand, especially for those new to mathematics. However, with some basic knowledge of number theory and logic, it can be broken down into simpler steps and become easier to comprehend.

5. Are there any other proofs of infinitely many primes?

Yes, there are several other proofs of infinitely many primes, such as Euler's proof, Dirichlet's proof, and Selberg's proof. Each of these proofs approaches the problem in a different way, but they all ultimately show that there are infinitely many prime numbers.