1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble understanding vector subspace sum

1. Aug 2, 2013 #1
    I'm self-studying Linear Algebra and the book I'm using is Linear Algebra done right by Sheldon Axler but I came across something that I don't understand .-
    Suppose [itex]\mathrm U[/itex] is the set of all elements of [itex]\mathbb F ^3[/itex] whose second and third coordinates equal 0, and [itex]\mathrm W[/itex] is the set of all elements of [itex]\mathbb F ^3[/itex] whose first and third coordinates equal 0:
    [tex] \mathrm U = \{ (x , 0 ,0) \in \mathbb F^3: x \in \mathbb F \} \text{ and } \mathrm W= \{(0,y,0) \in \mathbb F^3:y \in F \}[/tex]
    then
    [tex]\mathrm U + \mathrm W = \{ (x, y, 0) : x, y \in \mathbb F \}[/tex]
    As another example, suppose [itex]\mathrm U[/itex] is as above and [itex]\mathrm W[/itex] is the set of all elements of [itex]\mathbb F^3[/itex] whose first and second coordinates equal each other and whose third coordinate equals 0:
    [tex]\mathrm W= \{(y,y,0) \in \mathbb F^3:y \in F \}[/tex]
    Then [itex] \mathrm U + \mathrm W[/itex] is also given by.- (this is the part I don't understand)
    [tex]\mathrm U + \mathrm W = \{ (x, y, 0) : x, y \in \mathbb F \}[/tex]

why is that it's the same result nevertheless the subspace has changed?
    it shouldn't be something like [tex]\mathrm U + \mathrm W = \{ (x + y, y, 0) : x, y \in \mathbb F \}[/tex] what am I missing here?, thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The ##x## in the definition of U and the ##x## in the definition of U+W aren't the same. In both cases, U+W is the same subspace of F3, i.e. vectors of the form (x,y,0).

4. Aug 2, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

$$\mathrm U + \mathrm W = \{ (x + y, y, 0) : x, y \in \mathbb F \}$$ is the same thing as $$\mathrm U + \mathrm W = \{ (u, v, 0) : u, v \in \mathbb F \}$$ where u=x+y and v=y. Given any u and v you can solve for x and y and vice versa. So they are the same subspace.

5. Aug 3, 2013 #4
    Thank you very much, now I understand that it just serve as an arbitrary variable to denote all the possible values, it's the first time I read a book as rigorous as this one, but know I get it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted