Trouble w/ setting up the equations for capacitive circuits

In summary, if you're just summing and comparing charges, then you just sum or compare them directly.
Blockade

Homework Statement

7ad63a263c.jpg

Homework Equations

.Q = CVab

The Attempt at a Solution

ac91a77844.jpg

I am having a hard time understanding when to put the capacitance in the denominator. I get that Voltage = Charge/Capacitance, but for the equation circled in red "q1/c + q2/c = q3c" ... I don't get why each of those charges have their corresponding value of capacitance under it. If you look at two equations up "q2+q3 = q4" does need the capacitance in it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Blockade said:
I am having a hard time understanding when to put the capacitance in the denominator. I get that Voltage = Charge/Capacitance, but for the equation circled in red "q1/c + q2/c = q3c" ... I don't get why each of those charges have their corresponding value of capacitance under it. If you look at two equations up "q2+q3 = q4" does need the capacitance in it.

If you're summing or comparing voltages (potential differences) then you want to divide the charge by its associated capacitance to obtain the PD across the given capacitor.. V = Q/C. If you're just summing and comparing charges, then you just sum or compare them directly.

Likes Blockade
Wouldn't it be simpler to reduce the circuit in a manner similar to reducing resistive circuits?
For capacitors in parallel:
C = C1 + C2 + ... + Cn
For capacitors in series:
1 / C = 1 / C1 + 1 / C2 + ... + 1 / Cn
After you have the appropriate equivalent capacitances then you can begin analyzing charges and voltage drops.

J Hann said:
Wouldn't it be simpler to reduce the circuit in a manner similar to reducing resistive circuits?
For capacitors in parallel:
C = C1 + C2 + ... + Cn
For capacitors in series:
1 / C = 1 / C1 + 1 / C2 + ... + 1 / Cn
After you have the appropriate equivalent capacitances then you can begin analyzing charges and voltage drops.
Sure. But then you "lose" the individual capacitors with that reduction. Since you eventually want to find their individual charges and voltages that could be problematical.

On the other hand it can be used as a method towards the solution. If you first reduce down to a single equivalent capacitance then you can find the charge on it: ##Q = V_{ab}*C_{eq}##. That will also be the charge on the lone series capacitor at the bottom of the original circuit, so you can determine its voltage and by extension, the voltage across the other group of capacitors. It's a short bit of work in a similar fashion to deal out the voltages and charges to the rest.

1. What is a capacitive circuit?

A capacitive circuit is a type of electronic circuit that consists of capacitors, which are electrical components that can store and release electrical charge. These circuits are commonly used in electronics and are essential for many applications, such as filtering, tuning, and storing energy.

2. What are the equations used for capacitive circuits?

The main equations used for capacitive circuits are Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and the equations for calculating the capacitance and reactance of a capacitor. These equations help determine the voltage, current, and impedance in a capacitive circuit.

3. How do I set up the equations for a capacitive circuit?

To set up the equations for a capacitive circuit, you first need to identify the components and their values, such as the capacitance and resistance. Then, you can use the appropriate equations and apply Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws to solve for the voltage, current, and impedance in the circuit.

4. What are the common challenges in setting up equations for capacitive circuits?

One common challenge in setting up equations for capacitive circuits is accounting for the phase difference between the voltage and current, which is caused by the reactive nature of capacitors. Another challenge is dealing with multiple capacitors in a circuit, as their capacitances may be in series or parallel, requiring different equations.

5. How can I check if my equations for a capacitive circuit are correct?

To check if your equations for a capacitive circuit are correct, you can use a circuit simulator or a multimeter to measure the voltage, current, and impedance at different points in the circuit. If the values match your calculations, then your equations are likely correct. Additionally, double-checking your calculations and using different methods to solve the equations can also help verify their accuracy.