Trouble with drawing vector diagrams.

In summary, the homework statement involves a duck traveling a total of 22 meters at a 36 degree angle north of east, followed by 65 meters at a 25 degree angle east of south. The confusion arises from the different ways of writing vectors, with "E 25 degrees S" and "25 degrees S of E" being equivalent.
dinayork

Homework Statement

Total time 2min, duck travels 22 m 36degree N of E,then 65m E 25degree S.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i understand 36 N of E but what is E 25 degree S.

Physics news on Phys.org
"E 25 degrees S" is the same as "25 degrees S of E": If "East" is to the right, then "E 25 degrees S" is at an angle 25 degrees below the horizontal. You can interpret "E 25 degrees S" as "first go E then go S until you reach an angle of 25 degrees".

Yes, it's just two different ways of writing vectors. It can be frustrating to new students of vectors. In my school, the math teachers write E25S but I usually write 25 S of E. I'm not sure which is better, sometimes I think I should just do it the way the math teachers do.

1. What is a vector diagram?

A vector diagram is a graphical representation of vectors, which are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to represent forces, velocities, and other physical quantities.

2. Why is drawing vector diagrams important?

Drawing vector diagrams is important because it allows us to visually understand and analyze the relationships between different vectors. It can also help us solve problems and make predictions based on the given information.

3. What are the common challenges when drawing vector diagrams?

One of the most common challenges when drawing vector diagrams is determining the correct scale and direction for each vector. It can also be difficult to accurately represent the relative magnitudes of different vectors.

4. How do I improve my skills in drawing vector diagrams?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your skills in drawing vector diagrams. Start with simple diagrams and gradually move on to more complex ones. It can also be helpful to use graph paper and a protractor to ensure accuracy.

5. Can I use software to draw vector diagrams?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can help with drawing vector diagrams. Some popular options include Adobe Illustrator, AutoCAD, and GeoGebra. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of vector concepts and principles before relying solely on software.