Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble with Hermitian operators?

1. Nov 17, 2014 #1
    I am looking at the derivation of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle presented here: http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~jemoore/p137a/uncertaintynotes.pdf [Broken]

and am confused about line (21)...

I do not understand why [itex]AB[/itex] and [itex]BA[/itex] are complex conjugates of each other... (I'm still in high school so I don't really have much of a background in the algebra of operators).

If I assume what is written in line 21, I think I get the following lines- if [itex]AB[/itex] and [itex]BA[/itex] are complex conjugates, then [itex]|\langle AB-BA \rangle |^2 = |2\langle AB\rangle |^2 = 4|\langle AB\rangle |^2[/itex] I think... The expected value signs are what is confusing me most...

Thank you for any help!

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

A hermitian operator has the property ##A^\dagger = A##, where the ##\dagger## symbol refers to hermitian conjugation, which is the extension to operators (or matrices) of complex conjugation. Also, when applying hermitian conjugation to a product of operators, you have to invert their order:
    $$
    (A B)^\dagger = B^\dagger A^\dagger
    $$
    So, if ##A## and ##B## are hermitian, you get
    $$
    (A B)^\dagger = B^\dagger A^\dagger = BA
    $$
    The complex conjugate of a bracket is given by
    $$
    \left( \langle \psi | A | \phi \rangle \right)^* = \langle \phi | A^\dagger | \psi \rangle
    $$
    When you combine these things together, you find
    $$
    \begin{align*}
    \left( \langle AB \rangle \right)^* &= \left( \langle \psi | AB | \psi \rangle \right)^* \\
    &= \langle \psi | (A B)^\dagger | \psi \rangle \\
    &= \langle \psi | BA | \psi \rangle \\
    &= \langle B A \rangle
    \end{align*}
    $$
    So, as for all complex numbers ##|z| = |z^*|##, you have that ##|\langle AB \rangle| = |\langle BA \rangle|##.

You can only write an inequality here, not equalities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook