Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble with use of the Residue Theorem

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    I have just learned the residue theorem and am attempting to apply it to this intergral.

[tex]
    \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x^3+a^3}=\frac{2\pi}{3\sqrt{3}a^2}
    [/tex]

where [itex]a[/itex] is real and greater than 0. I want to take a ray going out at [itex]\theta=0[/itex] and another at [itex]\theta=\frac{2\pi}{3}[/itex] and connect them with an arc at infinity to evaluate the integral using the residue theorem; but so far I am having problems getting the correct result. I have shown

[tex]\left|\frac{1}{x^3+a^3}\right|=\frac{1}{|x|^3}\frac{1}{\left|1+\frac{a^3}{x^3}\right|}\leq \frac{1}{|x|^3}\frac{1}{\left|1-\frac{|a|^3}{|x|^3}\right|}[/tex]

by the triangle inequality. If we can say that [itex]\frac{|a|}{|x|}<\frac{1}{2^{1/3}}[/itex] then it follows that

[tex]\left| \int_{\text{arc}}\frac{dx}{x^3+a^3}\right|\leq \left(\frac{2\pi R}{3}\right)\frac{2}{R^3}=\frac{4\pi}{3R^2}\longrightarrow 0[/tex]

Thus the arc integral goes to 0 as the radius become infinite as needed. For the ray along [itex]\theta=\frac{2\pi}{3}[/itex] using a parametrization of [itex]x=(R-t)e^{2\pi i/3}[/itex] which gives [itex]dx=-e^{2\pi i/3}dt[/itex] the integral becomes

[tex] \int_{\text{ray}_2}\frac{dx}{x^3+a^3}=\int_{\text{ray}_2}\frac{-e^{2\pi i/3}dt}{(R-t)^3e^{-2\pi i}+a^3}\longrightarrow 0 [/tex]

again as needed. This would mean to me that the integral should just be the sum of residues lying inside my contour (times [itex]2\pi i[/itex] of course), which is just the one pole [itex]x=ae^{i\pi/3}[/itex]. This would give

[tex]\text{Res}f(ae^{i\pi/3})=\lim_{x\rightarrow ae^{i\pi/3}}(x-ae^{i\pi/3})\left(\frac{1}{x^3+a^3}\right)=-\frac{e^{i\pi/3}}{3a^2}[/tex]

and since it is a first order pole this is also the residue. Therefore the answer I am getting is

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x^3+a^3}=-\frac{2\pi i e^{i\pi/3}}{3a^2}[/tex]

I'm not sure where I went wrong--any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Your residue is right, but you should know that the integral along z/|z|=exp(2*pi*i/3) is not zero.
    let I be the given integral
    You will see
    ray integral=C*I (for some costant C find it)
    then
    closed integral=given+arc+ray=(1-0-C)*I=2pi*i*res(f,z0)=-2pi*i*exp(2pi*i/3)/(3a^2)
    recall
    sin(z)=[exp(iz)-exp(-iz)]/(2i)

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3
    Ah!! Thank you very much for that insight, it hit me as soon as I read what you had to say. I haven't used that trick in awhile so I think I temporarily forgot about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook