Troubling contradiction in Functional Analysis

In summary, Functional Analysis is a mathematical branch that studies vector spaces and linear transformations. It is a powerful tool for solving complex problems in physics and engineering, but there is a troubling contradiction at its core. While it is based on the concept of infinite-dimensional spaces, it also relies on the idea of convergence, which implies the existence of a limit. However, in infinite-dimensional spaces, not all sequences converge, leading to some paradoxical results. This contradiction has been a topic of debate and has sparked the development of new theories in Functional Analysis.
ModusPonens
Hello

I was doing an exercise that said: "If $P$ is a continuous operator in a Hilbert space $H$ and $P^2=P$ then the following five statements are equivalent". The first statement was that P is an orthogonal projection. Now this was suposed to be equivalent, under the condition of $P^2=P$, to $P^*=P$. However, I was able to prove that P is always an orthogonal projection, or so I think I did. I don't know of any mistake I've done in the proof. So what I ask is if there is a continuous operator in a Hilbert space that is idempotent, but not self adjoint.

Physics news on Phys.org
ModusPonens said:
Hello

I was doing an exercise that said: "If $P$ is a continuous operator in a Hilbert space $H$ and $P^2=P$ then the following five statements are equivalent". The first statement was that P is an orthogonal projection. Now this was suposed to be equivalent, under the condition of $P^2=P$, to $P^*=P$. However, I was able to prove that P is always an orthogonal projection, or so I think I did. I don't know of any mistake I've done in the proof. So what I ask is if there is a continuous operator in a Hilbert space that is idempotent, but not self adjoint.
Yes: in a two-dimensional space $P(x,y) = (x+y,0)$. The range is the $x$-axis, but the null space is the line $x+y=0$, which is not orthogonal to the range. The adjoint operator is given by $P^*(x,y) = (x,x)$.

Last edited:

1. What is Functional Analysis and why is it important in science?

Functional Analysis is a branch of mathematics that studies vector spaces and their transformations. It is important in science because it provides a powerful framework for understanding and solving problems in areas such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is a "troubling contradiction" in Functional Analysis?

A "troubling contradiction" in Functional Analysis refers to a situation where two or more mathematical theorems or principles seem to contradict each other, leading to confusion or difficulties in solving a problem.

3. How do scientists address troubling contradictions in Functional Analysis?

Scientists address troubling contradictions in Functional Analysis by carefully examining the assumptions and logic behind each principle or theorem, and seeking to resolve any inconsistencies or conflicts between them.

4. Can troubling contradictions in Functional Analysis be resolved?

Yes, troubling contradictions in Functional Analysis can be resolved through further research and analysis. Scientists may also propose new theories or approaches that can reconcile the conflicting principles and provide a more comprehensive understanding of the problem at hand.

5. What are the implications of unresolved troubling contradictions in Functional Analysis?

Unresolved troubling contradictions in Functional Analysis can lead to limitations in our understanding and ability to solve complex problems in science and technology. It may also indicate gaps or flaws in our current understanding of mathematical concepts and principles.