True unit of average integral result

In summary, the (b-a) factor in the formula for average value does have a unit, and it is dependent on the units of the x-axis.
ecoo
For example, when you have a function that describes the amount of water (liters) in a cup relative to time (the amount fluctuates for whatever reason). If you wanted to find the average amount of water in the cup in the interval [a,b], you would take the integral of the function in that interval and divide by (b-a).

The result can be interpreted as the average amount of liters in the cup in the interval, so you would write the unit as liters, but would the true unit be liters*time? If I were to remove the 1/(b-a) factor, would liters*time would be the true unit?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what you mean by "true unit" here. The formula for the average value of a certain function had better return units identical to that function, or it is just not the right formula! The formula you gave is correct, and it gives the correct units - those of the integrand.

##\frac{1}{\Delta x}\int_{a}^{b} f(x) dx##

I mean that when one integrates, for example, a velocity to time function, the answer's unit is displacement (velocity*time). So I'm thinking that when I integrate a function that models liters to time, the integral result's unit should be liters*time. Of course, in the context the result can be interpreted as the average liters in the interval, so the unit can be assigned as liters in this case.

ecoo said:
So I'm thinking that when I integrate a function that models liters to time, the integral result's unit should be liters*time. Of course, in the context the result can be interpreted as the average liters in the interval, so the unit can be assigned as liters in this case.

But you are not simply integrating a function; you are using a formula which was derived for a specific purpose. Look at the formula again. Δx (=b-a) has the same units as dx does, so the only units in the average value formula are those of the integrand...

Last edited:
mfig said:
But you are not simply integrating a function; you are using a formula which was derived for a specific purpose. Look at the formula again. Δx (=b-a) has the same units as dx does, so the only units in the average value formula are those of the integrand...

Oh, that makes sense.

Quick question, if I were to integrate the above function in some interval, then the units would be liters*time, right? And then if I were to multiply my result by some factor that happens to be 1/(b-a) with no goal on solving for average, simply part some calculation, then would the units be in liters*time or would the multiplication by the factor always cancel out the time (and in this case, multiplying by any other factor would not cancel out the time)?

If the multiplying factor were dimensionless then yes, it would not alter the units. For example, if I want to find the value of an even function over an even interval I can find the value of the function over the half-interval and multiply by the dimensionless value 2. As in:

##\int_{-a}^{a} f(x) dx = 2\int_{0}^{a} f(x) dx \space \space \space (f(x)\space even \space about \space origin)##

In this case, the units of the result are the units of f(x) times the units of x, both with and without the multiplying (and dimensionless) factor.

Likes ecoo
mfig said:
If the multiplying factor were dimensionless then yes, it would not alter the units. For example, if I want to find the value of an even function over an even interval I can find the value of the function over the half-interval and multiply by the dimensionless value 2. As in:

##\int_{-a}^{a} f(x) dx = 2\int_{0}^{a} f(x) dx \space \space \space (f(x)\space even \space about \space origin)##

In this case, the units of the result are the units of f(x) times the units of x, both with and without the multiplying (and dimensionless) factor.

So in the formula to find average, the (b-a) factor does have a unit, and it is whatever the x-axis is defined as, if it did not have a unit then the answer would be liters*time.

1. What is the true unit of average integral result?

The true unit of average integral result is determined by the units of the variable being integrated. For example, if the variable is measured in meters, then the unit of the average integral result will be in meters.

2. How is the true unit of average integral result calculated?

The true unit of average integral result is calculated by dividing the total value of the integral by the total length of the interval being integrated.

3. Can the true unit of average integral result be negative?

Yes, the true unit of average integral result can be negative if the function being integrated has both positive and negative values within the interval.

4. Does the true unit of average integral result change if the interval being integrated changes?

Yes, the true unit of average integral result will change if the interval being integrated changes. This is because the length of the interval affects the total value of the integral.

5. How is the true unit of average integral result useful in scientific research?

The true unit of average integral result is useful in scientific research as it provides a more accurate representation of the overall value of a variable within a given interval. It can also help to compare the average values of different variables being integrated, as they will have the same unit of measurement.