1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Try using a sterling approximation on the factorial

1. Jul 24, 2009 #1
    Can somebody demonstrate :
    [tex]\[
    \frac{n}{{\sqrt[n]{{n!}}}} < \left( {1 + \frac{1}{n}} \right)^n
    \]
    [/tex]
    ITS not A HOMEWORK

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2009 #2
    Re: Hi

I suppose it wouldn't exactly be a proof but you could try using a sterling approximation on the factorial.

4. Jul 24, 2009 #3

There must be a solution. several days i try to solve this problem but i do not reach any results.

5. Jul 24, 2009 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What application is the problem from?

6. Jul 24, 2009 #5

From math's corpus

7. Jul 24, 2009 #6

I think that I've figured out how to prove your inequality. I'm new to this board, but it seems that you are expected to show what you've already tried or where you got stuck, even if it's not homework. So, if you could give a brief summary of your work so far, that would help me to know what hints to give you. Also, your explanation that this problem came from "math's corpus" doesn't really mean anything in English. That's OK, but could you try again and be more specific? Thanks.

8. Jul 24, 2009 #7

berkeman

Good job Petek!

9. Jul 24, 2009 #8

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is a form of Stirling's approximation that gives a range in which the factorial falls. I suspect that would suffice to solve this problem.

10. Jul 31, 2009 #9

It's now been a week since the OP's last post (hope I didn't scare him/her off). Does anyone object to me posting my solution? I'd like others to check it for correctness.

Petek

11. Jul 31, 2009 #10

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Go ahead, that shouldn't be a problem.

12. Jul 31, 2009 #11

berkeman

I agree. Looks kind of like a puzzle...

13. Jul 31, 2009 #12

OK, here goes.

Exercise: Show that [tex]\[\frac{n}{{\sqrt[n]{{n!}}}} < \left( {1 + \frac{1}{n}} \right)^n \][/tex] for all natural numbers n.

Solution: We use without proof the following inequalities:

[tex](1 + \frac{1}{k})^k \leq e \leq (1 + \frac{1}{k})^{k + 1} \right {(*)}[/tex]

(where e is Euler's number) for all natural numbers k. A proof may be found in many calculus and real analysis books. (I couldn't find a good online reference for these inequalities. Does anyone know of one?)

For k = 1, 2, ..., n - 1, multiply together the inequalities on the left side of (*):

[tex] \prod_{k=1}^{n-1}(1 + \frac{1}{k})^{k} \leq e^{n -1} [/tex]

The left side of this inequality equals [tex]\frac{n^n}{n!} [/tex] (To see this, rewrite [tex](1 + \frac{1}{k})[/tex] as

[tex] \frac{k + 1}{k}[/tex], simplify the product to [tex]\[\frac{n^{n-1}}{(n-1)!}[/tex] and multiply by [tex]\frac{n}{n})[/tex].

Therefore

[tex]\frac{n^n}{n!} \leq e^{n-1}[/tex]

or,

[tex]\[\frac{n}{{\sqrt[n]{{n!}}}} \leq e^{\frac{n-1}{n}} = e^{1-\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]

Now, in (*), raise the right inequality to the power [tex]1 - \frac{1}{n}:[/tex]

[tex]e^{1-\frac{1}{n}} \leq (1 + \frac{1}{n})^{(n+1)(1-\frac{1}{n})} = (1 + \frac{1}{n})^{n-\frac{1}{n}}[/tex], which is strictly less than [tex](1 +

\frac{1}{n})^{n}[/tex].

Therefore, [tex]\[\frac{n}{{\sqrt[n]{{n!}}}} \leq e^{1-\frac{1}{n}} < (1 + \frac{1}{n})^{n}[/tex], as required.

14. Jul 31, 2009 #13

berkeman

Impressive!

15. Aug 1, 2009 #14

thanks for solving it is quite simlpe resolved, I know another solve more complex, it seems that yours is the easier

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook