Relationship between factorials and squares of natural numbers

In summary, The conversation discusses two equations that were discovered, which simplify on the right hand side as the denominator is a factor of the numerator. It is noted that the definition of faculty and the distribution law are relevant, and suggests looking into the Gamma and Beta functions for more information. There is also a brief discussion about the meaning of the word "faculty" and the distributive law. Finally, the conversation ends with a question about proving that n! is never a perfect square for n>1, and a suggestion to use Bertrand's postulate and checking the first few cases separately.
Prez Cannady
TL;DR Summary
Two equations relating factorials with squares of natural numbers. They seem to work.
Was fooling around and wrote down these two equations today that appear to work. I'm not all that bright and I'm positive these either have some proof or restate some conjecture--probably something in a textbook. Could somebody help me out?

[tex]
\forall n \in \mathbb{N}_0\smallsetminus\{0\}
[/tex]
[tex]
n^2 = \frac{\left(n + 1 \right)! - n!}{\left(n - 1 \right)!} \\
[/tex]
[tex]
\left(n + 1 \right)^2 = \frac{\left(n + 1 \right)! + n!}{\left(n - 1 \right)!} + 1 \\
[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The right hand side simplifies in each case as the denominator is a factor of the numerator. E.g ##\frac{n!}{(n-1)!}=n##

Likes Prez Cannady
This is basically the definition of the faculty and the distribution law. If you want to read more about the faculty, which formulas hold, and which generalizations exist, look up the Gamma function, and the Beta function.

Likes Prez Cannady
Is faculty an autocorrect for factorial?

• Informative
Likes berkeman and Prez Cannady
PeroK said:
Is faculty an autocorrect for factorial?
Lost in translation, sorry. (We use the same word for both meanings.)

Likes Prez Cannady
PeroK said:
The right hand side simplifies in each case as the denominator is a factor of the numerator. E.g ##\frac{n!}{(n-1)!}=n##

Indeed. Was just curious if there was a name for it or if I'm just writing down n^2 and (n + 1)^2 in a needlessly complicated fashion.

fresh_42 said:
Lost in translation, sorry. (We use the same word for both meanings.)
Just so I'm clear:

1. faculty -> factorial
2. distribution law -> distributive law

Is that correct?

Prez Cannady said:
Just so I'm clear:

1. faculty -> factorial
2. distribution law -> distributive law

Is that correct?
Yes.

@Prez Cannady :
This may interest you: Can you prove## n! ## is never a perfect square for ##n >1 ##?

Prez Cannady said:
Indeed. Was just curious if there was a name for it or if I'm just writing down n^2 and (n + 1)^2 in a needlessly complicated fashion.
It's so easy to show that I would be surprised if it has gotten more attention.
##\frac{\left(n + 1 \right)! - n!}{\left(n - 1 \right)!} = \frac{(n+1)n(n-1)! - n(n-1)!}{(n-1)!} = \frac{n^2 (n-1)!}{(n-1)!} = n^2##

Factorial and faculty are both "Fakultät" in German.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Interesting... Would one start by separating the expansion to the product of composite factors multiplied by the product of prime factors (the latter can never be a perfect square)?

valenumr said:
Interesting... Would one start by separating the expansion to the product of composite factors multiplied by the product of prime factors (the latter can never be a perfect square)?
After having chased that rabbit hole and having thought about this more, is it not sufficient to say simply that there is a maximal prime factor with coefficient (edit) exponent 1?

Last edited:
That's the easiest way to show it, using Bertrand's postulate and checking the first few cases separately.

Likes valenumr

1. What is the relationship between factorials and squares of natural numbers?

The relationship between factorials and squares of natural numbers is that the factorial of a number is equal to the square of the previous number multiplied by the current number. For example, 4! = (3^2) x 4 = 36.

2. How are factorials and squares of natural numbers used in mathematics?

Factorials and squares of natural numbers are used in various mathematical calculations, such as in probability, combinatorics, and series expansions. They also have applications in computer science and physics.

3. Can factorials and squares of natural numbers be equal?

Yes, there are certain numbers where the factorial and square of a natural number are equal. These numbers are 1 and 2.

4. What is the significance of the relationship between factorials and squares of natural numbers?

The relationship between factorials and squares of natural numbers is significant in understanding mathematical patterns and relationships. It also has practical applications in various fields, such as in calculating probabilities and permutations.

5. How can the relationship between factorials and squares of natural numbers be extended to other mathematical concepts?

The relationship between factorials and squares of natural numbers can be extended to other mathematical concepts, such as binomial coefficients, which involve combinations and permutations. It can also be used in proving certain mathematical identities and solving equations.