Trying an alternative to Trig Substitutions

• Thread starter Nano-Passion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, thealternative method described in this conversation does not appear to be a viable approach.
Nano-Passion
I wanted to try an alternative method to the proverbial technique used in trig substitution. Is this method a dead-end or is there hope for it?

[tex] \int \frac{\sqrt{x^2-3}}{x} dx[/tex]
Using trig substitution
[tex]c^2=a^2+b^2[/tex]
[tex]a = \sqrt{c^2-b^2}[/tex]
[tex]∴ c = x, b = \sqrt{3}[/tex]
Assigning these values to a triangle, where a is adjacent to theta and b is opposite to theta we get..
[tex] \int \frac{\sqrt{x^2-3}}{x} dx = \int \frac{a}{x} dx = \int cos \theta dx[/tex]

And I've hit a wall. I can't seem to be able to adequately convert dx to dθ.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try the substitution: [tex]x=\sqrt 3 \cosh \theta[/tex]

Nano-Passion said:
I wanted to try an alternative method to the proverbial technique used in trig substitution. Is this method a dead-end or is there hope for it?

[tex] \int \frac{\sqrt{x^2-3}}{x} dx[/tex]
Using trig substitution
[tex]c^2=a^2+b^2[/tex]
[tex]a = \sqrt{c^2-b^2}[/tex]
[tex]∴ c = x, b = \sqrt{3}[/tex]
Assigning these values to a triangle, where a is adjacent to theta and b is opposite to theta we get..
[tex] \int \frac{\sqrt{x^2-3}}{x} dx = \int \frac{a}{x} dx = \int cos \theta dx[/tex]

And I've hit a wall. I can't seem to be able to adequately convert dx to dθ.
Your substitution appears to be [itex]\displaystyle \cos(\theta)=\frac{\sqrt{x^2-3}}{x}\ .[/itex]

In that case, how is dx related to dθ ?

sharks said:
You could try the substitution: [tex]x=\sqrt 3 \cosh \theta[/tex]

I just did, it starts becoming ugly. And your still plagued by the dx so it hasn't made a difference.

Edit: I think I over-complicated things, I'm reviewing my method.

Edit: Either way, I feel a bit uncomfortable with the approach because I don't know how

[tex] x = \sqrt{3} cosh \theta [/tex]

Last edited:
SammyS said:
Your substitution appears to be [itex]\displaystyle \cos(\theta)=\frac{\sqrt{x^2-3}}{x}\ .[/itex]

In that case, how is dx related to dθ ?

Well, it doesn't seem that I can know until I can explicitly define the function in terms of x.

It works out by the substitution that i suggested. What is the final answer given in your book/notes?

sharks said:
It works out by the substitution that i suggested. What is the final answer given in your book/notes?

[tex] \sqrt{3} \int (sec^2 \theta - 1) d\theta [/tex]
[tex] \sqrt{3} (tan \theta - \theta) [/tex]

The substitution reccomended in post #2 should solve the problem.

dextercioby said:
The substitution reccomended in post #2 should solve the problem.

I can use any of the proverbial substitutions given in the book but that is besides the point. I was trying to do it in a different way and just need to know if my method is a dead end or not.

And at any rate, I'm not too familiar with the hyperbolic functions and how he derived that substitution equivalent.

Why are the substitutions in your book "proverbial"? I don't recally any proverbs related to Calculus!

In any case, your method is not a "dead end" but it is exactly the trig substitution you apparently are trying to avoid. Taking x to be the hypotenuse of your right triangle and the "near side" to be [itex]\sqrt{x^3- 3}[/itex], the "opposite side" has length 3 so [itex]sin(\theta)= 3/x[/itex], [itex]x= 3/sin(\theta)= 3csc(\theta)[/itex]. From that, [itex]dx= 3 d(csc(\theta))= -3 csc(\theta)cot(\theta) d\theta[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
Why are the substitutions in your book "proverbial"? I don't recally any proverbs related to Calculus!

Proverbial as in widely known and common.

In any case, your method is not a "dead end" but it is exactly the trig substitution you apparently are trying to avoid. Taking x to be the hypotenuse of your right triangle and the "near side" to be [itex]\sqrt{x^3- 3}[/itex], the "opposite side" has length 3 so [itex]sin(\theta)= 3/x[/itex], [itex]x= 3/sin(\theta)= 3csc(\theta)[/itex]. From that, [itex]dx= 3 d(csc(\theta))= -3 csc(\theta)cot(\theta) d\theta[/itex].

Hmm, I see now. ^.^ Thanks.

1. What is an alternative to Trig Substitutions?

An alternative to Trig Substitutions is using Integration by Parts to solve integrals involving trigonometric functions.

2. When should I use an alternative to Trig Substitutions?

You should consider using an alternative to Trig Substitutions when the integral involves a product of functions, such as a polynomial and a trigonometric function.

3. Are there any advantages to using an alternative to Trig Substitutions?

Yes, using Integration by Parts can be more efficient and easier to apply in certain cases compared to Trig Substitutions.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using an alternative to Trig Substitutions?

One potential disadvantage is that Integration by Parts can sometimes lead to more complicated integrals, making it more challenging to find an exact solution.

5. Is it always necessary to use an alternative to Trig Substitutions?

No, Trig Substitutions are specifically designed for solving integrals involving trigonometric functions and can often be the most straightforward approach for these types of integrals.