1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying an alternative to Trig Substitutions

1. May 13, 2012 #1
    I wanted to try an alternative method to the proverbial technique used in trig substitution. Is this method a dead-end or is there hope for it?

[tex] \int \frac{\sqrt{x^2-3}}{x} dx[/tex]
    Using trig substitution
    [tex]c^2=a^2+b^2[/tex]
    [tex]a = \sqrt{c^2-b^2}[/tex]
    [tex]∴ c = x, b = \sqrt{3}[/tex]
    Assigning these values to a triangle, where a is adjacent to theta and b is opposite to theta we get..
    [tex] \int \frac{\sqrt{x^2-3}}{x} dx = \int \frac{a}{x} dx = \int cos \theta dx[/tex]

And I've hit a wall. I can't seem to be able to adequately convert dx to dθ.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2012 #2

sharks

Gold Member

You could try the substitution: [tex]x=\sqrt 3 \cosh \theta[/tex]

4. May 13, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your substitution appears to be [itex]\displaystyle \cos(\theta)=\frac{\sqrt{x^2-3}}{x}\ .[/itex]

In that case, how is dx related to dθ ?

5. May 13, 2012 #4
    I just did, it starts becoming ugly. And your still plagued by the dx so it hasn't made a difference.

Edit: I think I over-complicated things, I'm reviewing my method.

Edit: Either way, I feel a bit uncomfortable with the approach because I don't know how

[tex] x = \sqrt{3} cosh \theta [/tex]

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  6. May 13, 2012 #5
    Well, it doesn't seem that I can know until I can explicitly define the function in terms of x.

7. May 13, 2012 #6

sharks

Gold Member

It works out by the substitution that i suggested. What is the final answer given in your book/notes?

8. May 13, 2012 #7
    [tex] \sqrt{3} \int (sec^2 \theta - 1) d\theta [/tex]
    [tex] \sqrt{3} (tan \theta - \theta) [/tex]

9. May 13, 2012 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The substitution reccomended in post #2 should solve the problem.

10. May 13, 2012 #9
    I can use any of the proverbial substitutions given in the book but that is besides the point. I was trying to do it in a different way and just need to know if my method is a dead end or not.

And at any rate, I'm not too familiar with the hyperbolic functions and how he derived that substitution equivalent.

11. May 13, 2012 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why are the substitutions in your book "proverbial"? I don't recally any proverbs related to Calculus!

In any case, your method is not a "dead end" but it is exactly the trig substitution you apparently are trying to avoid. Taking x to be the hypotenuse of your right triangle and the "near side" to be [itex]\sqrt{x^3- 3}[/itex], the "opposite side" has length 3 so [itex]sin(\theta)= 3/x[/itex], [itex]x= 3/sin(\theta)= 3csc(\theta)[/itex]. From that, [itex]dx= 3 d(csc(\theta))= -3 csc(\theta)cot(\theta) d\theta[/itex].

12. May 13, 2012 #11
    Proverbial as in widely known and common.

Hmm, I see now. ^.^ Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook