Trying to access a NOAA database

• Thread starter Naty1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Database
In summary, the conversation is about accessing solar radiation data from a website. The person is expecting to see surface solar radiation strengths by state but is having trouble finding the information. They are told to scroll down to Dataset 3282 and select the line item. However, it is mentioned that the files only provide information about the tables and not the actual data. The actual database for the data is NSRDB, but the person expresses frustration about the government expenditure of their tax dollars. They thank the person for their assistance.
Naty1
I'm trying to read solar radiation data from the following website...can anyone assist me in accessing this information...thank you. (I am expecting to see surface solar radiation strengths by state.)

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/documentlibrary/surface-doc.html

You have to scroll down to this:

Dataset 3282: U.S. National Solar Radiation Database

and then select that line item..they are in numercial order...

Technology news on Phys.org
Naty1 said:
I am expecting to see surface solar radiation strengths by state.[/url

Um, you're looking at the metadata tables, not the actual tables.You're going to have to parse/import the XML file into a db and then read out information, but as far as I can tell these files only give you information about the tables/data (like column name and range limits) anyway.

Actual database: NSRDB
http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data/nsrdb/1991-2005/hourly/list_by_state.html

Last edited:
So it's yet another useless government expenditure of my tax dollars...just great!

Thanks for the assistance...

Naty1 said:
So it's yet another useless government expenditure of my tax dollars...just great!
The data is all there, you just have to know what you're looking at/where to look. Having lab facilities where you can just download all the data and arrange it sensibly helps a lot.

As a fellow scientist, I understand the importance of accessing reliable data for research purposes. The NOAA database is a valuable resource for obtaining solar radiation data, and I am happy to assist you in accessing the information you need.

First, I would recommend scrolling down to the Dataset 3282: U.S. National Solar Radiation Database, as you mentioned. From there, you can select the specific data you are interested in, as the line items are listed in numerical order.

I also want to highlight the importance of citing the source of the data in your research, as this not only gives credit to the creators of the database, but also ensures the accuracy and credibility of your findings.

I hope this helps in your research and please let me know if you need any further assistance. Thank you for your dedication to scientific inquiry.

1. How do I access the NOAA database?

To access the NOAA database, you can visit their website at www.noaa.gov and navigate to the specific data you are looking for.

2. Do I need any special permissions or credentials to access the NOAA database?

Access to certain data within the NOAA database may require special permissions or credentials. It is best to check with the specific data provider for more information.

3. Is the NOAA database free to access?

Yes, the NOAA database is free to access. However, some data may have fees associated with it for commercial use. It is best to check with the specific data provider for more information.

4. How often is the NOAA database updated?

The frequency of updates to the NOAA database varies depending on the data being collected. Some data may be updated daily, while others may be updated less frequently. It is best to check with the specific data provider for the most up-to-date information.

5. Can I download data from the NOAA database for offline use?

Yes, you can download data from the NOAA database for offline use. However, the availability of offline data may vary depending on the specific data provider. It is best to check with them for more information on downloading data.