1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to apply superposition method to circuit, not working

1. Oct 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A double loop circuit is shown in the figure below.

FVTMCtE.png
    The Emf mimetex.gif x = 6.00 V and the Emf mimetex.gif w = 19.00 V. Both are shown on the diagram. Calculate the power dissipated in the 6 Ω resistor located on the extreme right in the circuit.

2. Relevant equations

V=IR, P=VI

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using superposition, where I replaced one battery with a short and solved for the voltage and current through the 6 ohm resistor, and the did the same by replacing the other battery with a short. The total current and voltage is the sum of the individual values. I plugged those final values into P=VI and got the wrong answer. Should this method work and I just did the work wrong or is there something I'm not aware of?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sounds like you did it right but without your posting your work it's impossible for us to see where you might have gone wrong.

4. Oct 20, 2015 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You cannot add power by superposition. You can compute current I by superposition:
    I = I1 + I2.
    Then P = I^2 R.
    Or you could have computed V1 and V2 by superposition, then P = VI = (V1 + V2)(V1 + V2)/R.

5. Oct 20, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

DOH ! I assumed that's what he was doing but on rereading I see I just glossed over what he really said. Good catch.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted