Trying to cancel units out for velocity of transverse wave

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
ichivictus
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Not a specific question, but I just need help understanding how units cancel out.

v = sqrt(force of tension / mass density)

Force of tension is in Newtons. Mass density is in kg/m^3

Nt/ (kg/m^3) = (kg*m/s^2)/(kg/m^3) =(I cross multiply here) (kg*m*m^3)/(s^2*kg)

kg cancels out. Remember it is the sqrt of it all.

sqrt(m^4/s^2) = m^2/s

This does not equal m/s. Is there something I am missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ichivictus said:
Not a specific question, but I just need help understanding how units cancel out.

v = sqrt(force of tension / mass density)

Force of tension is in Newtons. Mass density is in kg/m^3

Nt/ (kg/m^3) = (kg*m/s^2)/(kg/m^3) =(I cross multiply here) (kg*m*m^3)/(s^2*kg)

kg cancels out. Remember it is the sqrt of it all.

sqrt(m^4/s^2) = m^2/s

This does not equal m/s. Is there something I am missing?
The mass density needed here is linear mass density: mass per unit length.
 
Ah thanks. Then this must mean the linear mass density is equal to the mass density times its cross-sectional area. This clears up lots of confusion!