Trying to figure out the size of a base to make

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gofarlow
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Base Figure
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Gofarlow
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I am hoping someone can assist a non engineering person figure something out and is probably the oddest question you will get. I have built a life size version of Han Solo In Carbonite (HIC). It is 80 inches tall and 32 inches wide at the base. It weighs about 125 pounds with most of the weight towards the front 5 inches since the box is hollow in the back.

I have built a base that is 2 inches thick 36 inches wide and 72 inches long out of oak so it is heavy. I have centered HIC in the middle of the board. HIC will attach to two 2x6's that are attached to metal 'L' brackets bolted to the base. The top 2x6 is 40 inches up and would attach to HIC at its center.

I will probably be adding another 3/4 inch oak board under the 'L' Bracket so I can the recess the bolts.

My questions:
1) Am I correct with center HIC to the base and not the bracket system?
2) Is my base wide enough at 36 inches so an 80 inch item will not tip forward?

Thank you to anyone who can assist.
Back of HIC
IMG_2644.jpg

What HIC looks like before finishing paint:
IMG_4410.jpg

Base and bracket system I am using to attach HIC to. He would attach in the center of the 2x6's attached to the bracket.
IMG_4538.jpg

-Gary
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Gofarlow said:
2) Is my base wide enough at 36 inches so an 80 inch item will not tip forward?
That will depend on the horizontal force that might be applied to the statue and the distance between the centre of mass and the nearest edge of the attached support. Will there be strong winds, do you have earthquakes or might students climb on the statue?
Since, if you get it wrong, the statue could fall and injure someone, it is important that you get a local engineer to check the design of the base.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman