Trying to find interval of convergence for a geometric series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
skyturnred
Messages
117
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



here is the series:

[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}[/itex]x(-15(x[itex]^{2}[/itex]))[itex]^{n}[/itex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I know that

-1<-15x[itex]^{2}[/itex]<1 for convergence (because of geometric series properties)

but I run into a problem here:

-1/15<x[itex]^{2}[/itex]<1/15

You can't take the square root of a negative number.. so is the interval of convergence just

[0,(1/15)[itex]^{1/2}[/itex])?

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
skyturnred said:
f geometric series properties)

but I run into a problem here:

-1/15<x[itex]^{2}[/itex]<1/15

You can't take the square root of a negative number.. so is the interval of convergence just

[0,(1/15)[itex]^{1/2}[/itex])?

Thanks

No. The left side of that inequality is free so you just have ##x^2<1/15##. When you take the square root of both sides remember ##\sqrt{x^2}=|x|## so you get ##|x|<1/\sqrt{15}## which is ##-1/\sqrt{15}<x<1/\sqrt{15}##.