Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to find references for polarization effect of Normal Zeeman Effect

1. Aug 4, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I am trying to find a resource that can explain how σ and ∏ lines obtain their polarizations.
    I have not found resource that actually show the calculation or solid explanation that show this.The references are usually state that σ and ∏ have circular polarization and linear polarization respectively. But they did not explain why, assume that it is a given fact.

Some resources in the internet seems to explain this by conservation of angular momentum J. Since in Normal Zeeman Effect S=0 for both states involved in the transition, L is conserved. So, the resources reasoned that for Δml=1,-1 , a photon with spin 1 or -1 will be produced. They correspond to left and right circularly polarized light. For Δml=o, they state that there will be equal amount of photon with spin 1 and -1. This corresponds to a linearly polarized light. It seems a lot of hand waving argument.

I have checked some textbooks like Fowles' Modern Optics. It has 2 pages explanation with pictures. It interpret the transition as an oscillating dipole. The example discussed 1s and 2p transitions of Hydrogen atoms. The book do not give any calculation. I also prefer to have an explanation how to apply the explanation for different orbitals, not only 1s and 2p transitions.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2012 #2
    Hi, I had a similar problem finding references for this previously. I don't think I ever found an explanation for it other than the hand wavey stuff. I'll have a look back at my report and let you know if I find anything.

4. Aug 4, 2012 #3
    Actually the QM textbook by cohen tannoudji has some mathematical explanation.
    But it's a bit beyond me.

5. Aug 4, 2012 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Aug 4, 2012 #5
    Thx a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook