Trying to fully grasp limit definition

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the \epsilon -\delta argument to prove limits. An example in the text involving x^2sin\frac{1}{x} approaching 0 as x approaches 0 is provided. The conversation also touches on the justification for choosing delta to be the minimum of two real numbers and how this approach can be used to easily prove limits for small epsilon values.
snipez90

Homework Statement

An example in the text that involves showing that [tex]x^2sin\frac{1}{x}[/tex] approaches 0 as x approaches 0.

Homework Equations

[tex]\epsilon -\delta[/tex] argument

The Attempt at a Solution

I can prove many limits efficiently now using [tex]\epsilon -\delta[/tex] but I don't think I am that flexible with the definition. I don't feel that I fully understand it. For instance, in this example, it's easy to choose [tex]d = \sqrt{\epsilon}[/tex] and after noting that [tex]|sin\frac{1}{x}| \leq 1[/tex], the proof is very short.

But in this part of the text, Spivak assumes that the reader does not know the definition yet. He argues that for [tex]|x^2sin\frac{1}{x}|[/tex] to be less than [tex]\epsilon[/tex], it is only required that [tex]|x| < \epsilon[/tex] and [tex]x \neq 0[/tex], provided that [tex]\epsilon \leq 1[/tex]. This makes sense because [tex]|x^2| = |x|^2 \leq |x|[/tex] for [tex]|x| \leq 1[/tex] and hence the stated bound [tex]\epsilon \leq 1[/tex]. If [tex]\epsilon > 1[/tex], then it is required that [tex]|x| < 1[/tex] and [tex]x \neq 0[/tex].

This approach may seem more trouble than it's worth since [tex]\delta = \sqrt{\epsilon}[/tex] apparently works well. But when trying to write up a proof based on the above approach, I had a hard time. I understood his approach but it seemed weird to be considering two different epsilon cases. After working off of [tex]|f(x) - L|[/tex] , I quickly got to [tex]|x^2sin\frac{1}{x}| \leq |x|^2[/tex], but am now stuck. I know from Spivak's argument that I can have [tex]|f(x)-L| < |x|^2 < |x| < \epsilon[/tex] for [tex]\epsilon \leq 1[/tex] but how do I choose [tex]\delta[/tex]? Does choosing delta = min{a,b}, where a and b are real numbers, have something to do with this approach?

I guess choosing delta to be the min of two real quantities is still unclear to me. Basically for harder limit proofs, I manipulate the |f(x) - L| term until I get a quantity that has the |x-a| term (which is < delta). Then if multiple terms are involved, I assume that delta is bounded above by some z > 0 (usually 1 or a fraction less than 1) and find a bound for each of the terms beside the |x-a| term. Multiplying the bounds on these terms gives a bound B on the |x-a| term so that [tex]B|x-a| < B\delta[/tex]. Then I just choose delta to be [tex]\frac{\epsilon}{B}[/tex].

Right now, my idea of why this approach is justified is that we can choose delta. Once we do enough manipulations to find the other delta choice dependent on epsilon, then epsilon can vary so that we can always find a delta for which the limit definition holds. But this is all very hazy and if someone could clarify my reasoning or justify my approach and why it works it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does choosing delta = min{a,b}, where a and b are real numbers, have something to do with this approach?

That's exactly it. If you can find an easy proof of the limit for small epsilon, say epsilon smaller than M, then when epsilon is larger than M, you can pick a delta that worked when epsilon was smaller than M and it still trivially works

Hmm ok I think that makes sense. For some reason I kept thinking that min meant that I could only pick one of the quantities that delta can equal. But since delta bounds two quantities, then no matter what epsilon > 0 is chosen, then the |f(x) - L| term will be less than epsilon.

1. What is the definition of a limit?

The definition of a limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It represents the value that the function gets closer and closer to, but may not necessarily reach.

2. How do you calculate the limit of a function?

To calculate the limit of a function, you need to evaluate the function at values that are close to the input value in question. As the values get closer to the input, if the function's output approaches a specific value, that value is the limit.

3. Why is understanding limit definition important?

Understanding limit definition is crucial in calculus and other areas of mathematics because it helps us understand how functions behave and how they are connected to each other. It also allows us to solve complex problems and make predictions about the behavior of a function.

4. What are some common misconceptions about limit definition?

One common misconception about limit definition is that the limit is the same value as the function's output at the input in question. Another misconception is that the limit is always equal to the value of the function at the input, when in fact the limit may not exist at all.

5. How can I improve my understanding of limit definition?

To improve your understanding of limit definition, it is important to practice solving problems and working with different types of functions. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher, and use online resources such as videos and practice exercises to strengthen your understanding. It is also important to make connections between limit definition and other concepts in calculus, such as derivatives and integrals.