Trying to get a pen to work in so little to no gravity in space

In summary, NASA spent a lot of money on a pen that would work in space, but the Soviets found a better solution using a pencil.
almostvoid
The best story from space I remember is how NASA spent a huge pile of money trying to get a pen to work in so little to no gravity in space. They worked and worked away and the Soviets found the solution: using a pencil.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It is also made up.
Both the US and the Soviet Union tried pencils, but their graphite can be bad for electronics, so both bought Fisher space pens from a company for a few dollars per pen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Writing_in_space

Likes pinball1970, Rive, berkeman and 4 others
almostvoid said:
The best story from space I remember is how NASA spent a huge pile of money trying to get a pen to work in so little to no gravity in space. They worked and worked away and the Soviets found the solution: using a pencil.

This is wrong. It was the Fischer pen company who spent a lot of money developing a pressurized pen and they convinced NASA to use it on their missions. It’s a common meme used for over engineering the obvious. The worry in space was the flaking of graphite interfering with the electrical systems.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-nasa-spen/
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-write-stuff/
And to buy one for @Greg Bernhardt, and PF here’s the Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CK18M4M/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Or elsewhere as there are many models to choose from:

https://www.spacepen.com/originalastronautmodels.aspx

Likes Charles Link
mfb said:
It is also made up.

No need to let that stand in the way of a good story, :wink:

Likes OmCheeto
Vanadium 50 said:
No need to let that stand in the way of a good story, :wink:
It's a very common myth, I hear it all the time in real life.

A pen should work in zero gravity I would have thought. Doesn't ink flow due to capillary action?

try writing upside down, pens only work so long then they stop. gravity is necessary to keep ink in position so that capillary action can happen.

Likes berkeman and Charles Link
I love this pen. I bought one a year ago, and it's my favorite pen by far. I like that it folds up to such a compact size, and I don't have to worry about the pen angle when writing on notes on walls. Great find!

And as for horror stories about pencils being used in the wrong places... I once spent almost a whole day debugging a high-impedance FET preamplifer (used on a graphics tablet that I helped to design). The amp was acting very strangely and was varying all over the place. I finally traced it to a small pencil mark made on the PCB by another engineer earlier who was pointing to a component with his engineering pencil. He accidentally made contact with the surface of the PCB, which left the small graphite mark on the board. That was enough to cause the slightly conductive path in the area of MegaOhm impedances in the FET amp. I now no longer let anybody use a pencil as a pointer anywhere near my work... :oldmad:

Likes DrClaude, russ_watters and BillTre
Dr Transport said:
try writing upside down, pens only work so long then they stop. gravity is necessary to keep ink in position so that capillary action can happen.

Interesting.

The tube of ink in a Biro pen seems narrow enough for the liquid’s capillary action to hold it in place upside down. Also due to the vacuum at the nib (just a random thought). Amirit?

It is a Seinfeld bit, on the space pen. Jerry wanted to write the jokes that came to him in bed. I myself have trouble with pens here in earth. The heat of my hands or something ends up ruining them. I use them once or twice and then the ink runneth over outside the pen and that's it. Never had a pen that worked after more than 4-5 occasions.

1. How does gravity affect the function of a pen in space?

In space, there is little to no gravity, which means that objects do not have weight or experience the force of gravity. This can make it challenging to use a pen as there is no force pushing the ink out of the pen's tip.

2. Can a regular pen be used in space?

Yes, a regular pen can be used in space, but it may not function as well as it does on Earth. The lack of gravity can make it difficult for the ink to flow out of the pen, and the pen may need to be held at a specific angle for it to work.

3. How do astronauts write in space without gravity?

Astronauts often use special space pens that are designed to work in microgravity. These pens use pressurized ink cartridges and a special mechanism to push the ink out of the pen's tip without the need for gravity.

4. Can pencils be used in space instead of pens?

Pencils are not commonly used in space as they can create a mess due to the small particles of graphite that can float around in microgravity. Additionally, the sharp tips of pencils can break off and cause damage to the spacecraft or get in the astronaut's eyes.

5. How do astronauts prevent their pens from floating away in space?

Astronauts often use clips or Velcro to secure their pens to their suits or other surfaces in the spacecraft. This helps to prevent the pen from floating away and getting lost in the microgravity environment of space.