Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to learn about netlists.

1. May 1, 2006 #1
    I am trying to learn about transistor netlists and creating netlists for logic functions in SPICE.

For a MOS Inverter, I know:

Code (Text):

.option post
    VG 2 0 DC PULSE 0 3 10NS 5NS 5NS 30NS 60NS
    VDD 3 0 DC  3V
    M1 1 2 3 3 pmos L=0.25U W=0.5U
    M2 1 2 0 0 nmos L=0.25U W=.25U
    .TRAN 10ps 150ns
    One of the big problems I'm having, I seemed to have not picked it up in class, is what this means:

Code (Text):

M1 1 2 3 3 pmos L=0.25U W=0.5U
    Now, I know those are some sort of parameters, maybe the sizing (I'm referring to the "1 2 3 3")?

I assume M1 is the name of the single device we're creating. And I know what L and W are. But the 1 2 3 3 I'm pretty clueless about.

Code (Text):

VG 2 0 DC PULSE 0 3 10NS 5NS 5NS 30NS 60NS
    Now, obviously Vg values are being determined here. Does the first 2 mean Vg = 2V? What's the zero after mean?

Code (Text):

VDD 3 0 DC  3V
    I think here Vdd is just being defined as a 3V DC source. Since 3V is at the end, I assume the "3 0" does not mean 3V. What is the significance of the 3 there then?

Googling produces a lot of random results, so if someone could just fill me in on what the number and what each position corrosponds to, I may be able to live a little longer!

I get the idea that this stuff can be REALLY easy if you have a good reference source. Unfortunately, I don't. If you have a good site that just bluntly states what each position means, I would be VERY greatful!

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2006 #2
    M1 1 2 3 3
    means connect a mosfet with the drain at 1, gate at 2, source at 3 and substrate at 3.
  4. May 2, 2006 #3
    Thanks, corneo.

I spent the day reading and asking people and I finally figured out what everything means. I can even design more complicated netlists. It is actually really simple once you get the basic idea down.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?