Trying to relate nuclear physics to solid state (fermi gas)

In summary, the conversation discussed the liquid drop model and the fermi gas model in nuclear physics. The question was raised whether a Fermi liquid and Fermi gas can be described using these models and if they are the same thing. It was suggested to compare the models and see if they yield the same results, particularly in regards to Landau's Fermi Liquid model. However, it was concluded that there may be some similarities between the models, but it is not clear if they can fully describe the difference between a fermi gas and fermi liquid in condensed matter.
rwooduk
In nuclear physics we have talked about the liquid drop model and the fermi gas model. My question is can a Fermi liquid and a Fermi gas be directly described using these models? Are they the same thing?

i.e. If I wanted to decribe the difference between a fermi gas and a fermi liquid could I use the nuclear models to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
rwooduk said:
In nuclear physics we have talked about the liquid drop model and the fermi gas model. My question is can a Fermi liquid and a Fermi gas be directly described using these models? Are they the same thing?

i.e. If I wanted to decribe the difference between a fermi gas and a fermi liquid could I use the nuclear models to do this?

Well, why don't you use it and see if you come up with the same results? Start with comparing your models and see if you arrive at the same prediction as Landau's Fermi Liquid model.

Zz.

Likes rwooduk
ZapperZ said:
Well, why don't you use it and see if you come up with the same results? Start with comparing your models and see if you arrive at the same prediction as Landau's Fermi Liquid model.

Zz.

Thanks for the reply. To be honest (I should have put this in the original post) I'm trying to get more of a descriptive difference i.e.

Can a fermi liquid be described (as in nuclear terms) as a drop of liquid being pulled by its surface tension into a spherical shape, thus as in a drop of liquid interactions occur but only with neighbours.

And for the fermi gas, can the electrons (as in nuclear terms) be described as being able to move freely in a spherically symmetric potential well.

I see what you are saying but we have been given for the fermi liquid model:

IfGZN8K.jpg

And for the fermi gas model, a calculation of fermi momentum and fermi energies.

I wouldn't be sure how to relate the former to solid state.

I have a feeling we are using the same name but with different meanings.

Whenever we refer to the "Fermi liquid" in condensed matter, we are specifically referring to the Landau's Fermi Liquid theory. This is essentially a renormalization of the electrons many-body problem into many one-body problem under a "weak-coupling" limit. A consequence of this is the concept of "quasiparticles", whereby the self-energies determine the coupling strength, lifetime, and other properties.

From what I can see, I don't find any strong similarities in the nuclear models that you have mentioned.

Zz.

Likes rwooduk
ZapperZ said:
I have a feeling we are using the same name but with different meanings.

Whenever we refer to the "Fermi liquid" in condensed matter, we are specifically referring to the Landau's Fermi Liquid theory. This is essentially a renormalization of the electrons many-body problem into many one-body problem under a "weak-coupling" limit. A consequence of this is the concept of "quasiparticles", whereby the self-energies determine the coupling strength, lifetime, and other properties.

From what I can see, I don't find any strong similarities in the nuclear models that you have mentioned.

Zz.

Ok, many thanks for that. I assumed they were the same and the simple difference between the fermi liquid and fermi gas could be described as interacting and non-interacting electrons respectively. I follow some of the description of the Fermi liquid you gave, it would really help if you could perhaps describe the difference of fermi liquid and fermi gas in solid state in layman's terms.

rwooduk said:
Ok, many thanks for that. I assumed they were the same and the simple difference between the fermi liquid and fermi gas could be described as interacting and non-interacting electrons respectively.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there isn't. I just haven't seen it yet. Someone who is more familiar with both of them might be able to chime in and correct me here.

Many-body physics applies to both areas, because they should. How much one model resembles each other is something I am not so sure. That was why I asked if you can apply the nuclear models to the condensed matter scenario and get the same results as the Fermi liquid theory.

Zz.

Likes rwooduk
ZapperZ said:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there isn't. I just haven't seen it yet. Someone who is more familiar with both of them might be able to chime in and correct me here.

Many-body physics applies to both areas, because they should. How much one model resembles each other is something I am not so sure. That was why I asked if you can apply the nuclear models to the condensed matter scenario and get the same results as the Fermi liquid theory.

Zz.

Ok, I see, many thanks for your help!

1. What is the relationship between nuclear physics and solid state physics?

Nuclear physics and solid state physics are both branches of physics that study the behavior of matter at different scales. Nuclear physics focuses on the behavior of atoms and subatomic particles, while solid state physics studies the properties of materials at the macroscopic level. However, there is a strong connection between the two fields as the behavior of nuclei and electrons in atoms and molecules plays a crucial role in the properties of solid materials.

2. How does a fermi gas relate to solid state physics?

A fermi gas is a theoretical model of a group of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin such as electrons. In solid state physics, fermi gases are used to explain the behavior of electrons in metals, semiconductors, and insulators. The fermi gas model helps to understand the electronic properties of these materials, such as conductivity and energy levels.

3. Can nuclear reactions affect the properties of solid materials?

Yes, nuclear reactions can have a significant impact on the properties of solid materials. For example, nuclear reactions can lead to changes in the crystal structure of a material, altering its mechanical properties. They can also cause radiation damage, which can affect the electrical and optical properties of a material.

4. What role do nuclear forces play in solid state physics?

Nuclear forces are responsible for holding the nucleus of an atom together. In solid state physics, these forces also play a crucial role in determining the properties of materials. For instance, the strength of nuclear forces can affect the melting point and mechanical strength of a material.

5. How do scientists use nuclear physics to study solid state materials?

Scientists use nuclear physics techniques such as nuclear spectroscopy and neutron scattering to study the properties of solid state materials. These techniques allow them to probe the atomic and molecular structure of materials, as well as study the behavior of particles within the material. By understanding the underlying nuclear processes, scientists can gain valuable insights into the properties and behavior of solid state materials.