Trying to rotate a disc about two perpendicular axes

In summary, the disc will rotate around the tilted axis, but the movement in the space frame is different than the movement in the body fixed frame.
Kashmir
I've a disc which can rotate freely about two perpendicular axis (fixed to the body)
If I simultaneous try to rotate it about the two axis, what will happen?
IMG_20210706_174015.JPG

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
What you have drawn is rotation about an axis parallel to ## \mathbf{i} \omega_x + \mathbf{j} \omega_y##.

Likes Kashmir
Kashmir said:
I've a disc which can rotate freely about two perpendicular axis.
If I simultaneous try to rotate it about the two axis, what will happen?View attachment 285546
Nothing will happen that is not already familiar to you. If the y-axis is perpendicular to the plane of the ecliptic and the x-axis in that plane, then, ignoring nutation, the Earth spins about its axis with angular velocity ##\vec \omega=\omega_0\{\sin(23.5^o),~\cos(23.5^o)\}## where ##\omega_0=\frac{2\pi}{86400}~\text{rad/s}.##

On edit: This assumes that the axes are not attached to the body.

Last edited:
Kashmir said:
I've a disc which can rotate freely about two perpendicular axis
Are the axes attached to the body or are the axes fixed in an inertial frame?

Likes Kashmir, kuruman, DaveC426913 and 1 other person
Dale said:
Are the axes attached to the body or are the axes fixed in an inertial frame?
They are attached to the body

Kashmir said:
They are attached to the body
I think that all of the answers so far assumed that they were fixed in space. So I don't think that the previous answers apply. The question was unclear. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your actual question which is quite a bit more complicated. You still have a torque about a single axis at 45 degrees from the orthogonal axes, but as that axis moves with the body the resulting motion is complicated.

Likes Kashmir and ergospherical
Mine's still fine! It's also actually more common in rigid body dynamics to refer the angular velocity to body fixed axes.

Likes Kashmir and Dale
Excellent, maybe I was the only one confused then!

Likes Kashmir
ergospherical said:
Mine's still fine! It's also actually more common in rigid body dynamics to refer the angular velocity to body fixed axes.
Thank you. So you mean that the body will rotate around the tilted axis?

Well not really, the angular velocity is ##\boldsymbol{\omega} = \mathbf{i} \omega_x + \mathbf{j} \omega_y## but ##\mathbf{i}(t)## and ##\mathbf{j}(t)## are functions of time so the motion looks different in the space frame.

The usual procedure is to choose as ##\{ \mathbf{i}, \mathbf{j}, \mathbf{k} \}## the eigenvectors of the inertia tensor ##I## at a convenient point (the centre of mass, say). Then, manipulation of ##\dfrac{d\mathbf{L}}{dt} = \mathbf{M}## gets you to the Euler equation ##I \dfrac{d\boldsymbol{\omega}}{dt} + \boldsymbol{\omega} \times (I \boldsymbol{\omega}) = \mathbf{M}## which you can solve in the eigenvector basis and then finally convert to a space fixed basis.

Likes Kashmir
ergospherical said:
Well not really, the angular velocity is ##\boldsymbol{\omega} = \mathbf{i} \omega_x + \mathbf{j} \omega_y## but ##\mathbf{i}(t)## and ##\mathbf{j}(t)## are functions of time so the motion looks different in the space frame.

The usual procedure is to choose as ##\{ \mathbf{i}, \mathbf{j}, \mathbf{k} \}## the eigenvectors of the inertia tensor ##I## at a convenient point (the centre of mass, say). Then, manipulation of ##\dfrac{d\mathbf{L}}{dt} = \mathbf{M}## gets you to the Euler equation ##I \dfrac{d\boldsymbol{\omega}}{dt} + \boldsymbol{\omega} \times (I \boldsymbol{\omega}) = \mathbf{M}## which you can solve in the body fixed basis and then finally convert to a space fixed basis.
Thank you. I've not done Euler equation and will be doing them soon. Suppose instead we focus on the instantaneous movement of the body at the instant the torques are applied as I've drawn, then at that instant can I say the body is instantaneously rotating about the tilted axis?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's fine!

By the way, if you haven't learned about the Euler equations then you can still make progress. In the eigenvector basis ##I## is diagonal so ##\mathbf{L} = I \boldsymbol{\omega} = a \mathbf{i} \times \dfrac{d\mathbf{i}}{dt} + b(\boldsymbol{\omega} \cdot \mathbf{i}) \mathbf{i}## for ##a, b \in \mathbb{R}## being the diagonal components, so\begin{align*}
a \mathbf{i} \times \dfrac{d^2\mathbf{i}}{dt^2} + b \left( \dfrac{d(\boldsymbol{\omega} \cdot \mathbf{i})}{dt} \mathbf{i} + (\boldsymbol{\omega} \cdot \mathbf{i}) \dfrac{d\mathbf{i}}{dt} \right) = \mathbf{M}
\end{align*}If you say what is ##\mathbf{M}## then you can go further.

Likes Kashmir
ergospherical said:
Yeah, that's fine!

By the way, if you haven't learned about the Euler equations then you can still make progress. In the eigenvector basis ##I## is diagonal so ##\mathbf{L} = I \boldsymbol{\omega} = a \mathbf{i} \times \dfrac{d\mathbf{i}}{dt} + b(\boldsymbol{\omega} \cdot \mathbf{i}) \mathbf{i}## for ##a, b \in \mathbb{R}## being the diagonal components, so\begin{align*}
a \mathbf{i} \times \dfrac{d^2\mathbf{i}}{dt^2} + b \left( \dfrac{d(\boldsymbol{\omega} \cdot \mathbf{i})}{dt} \mathbf{i} + (\boldsymbol{\omega} \cdot \mathbf{i}) \dfrac{d\mathbf{i}}{dt} \right) = \mathbf{M}
\end{align*}If you say what is ##\mathbf{M}## then you can go further.
What's M ? And is there any way to upvote etc to show thanks?

##\mathbf{M}## is the moment applied the disc, taken about the same point as the inertia tensor (for your example that's definitely most conveniently chosen as the centre).

Likes Kashmir
ergospherical said:
##\mathbf{M}## is the moment applied the disc, taken about the same point as the inertia tensor (for your example that's definitely most conveniently chosen as the centre).
Thank you million times dear. I'll go through all of your equations and try to derive them. :)

Likes Dale

1. What is the purpose of rotating a disc about two perpendicular axes?

The purpose of rotating a disc about two perpendicular axes is to study the motion and behavior of the disc in different orientations. This can provide valuable information about the disc's physical properties and how it responds to external forces.

2. How is the rotation of a disc about two perpendicular axes different from rotating it about a single axis?

When rotating a disc about two perpendicular axes, the disc is free to rotate in two different directions simultaneously. This allows for a more complex and dynamic motion compared to rotating it about a single axis, where the disc is limited to a single rotational plane.

3. What factors affect the stability of a disc when rotating about two perpendicular axes?

The stability of a disc when rotating about two perpendicular axes is affected by its shape, mass distribution, and the speed and direction of the rotations. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and friction can also impact the disc's stability.

4. How does the rotation of a disc about two perpendicular axes relate to real-world applications?

The rotation of a disc about two perpendicular axes has various real-world applications, such as in gyroscopes, spacecraft attitude control, and sports equipment design. Understanding the physics behind this type of rotation can also help in developing more efficient and stable machinery and structures.

5. What are some challenges in trying to rotate a disc about two perpendicular axes?

One of the main challenges in rotating a disc about two perpendicular axes is maintaining its stability and preventing wobbling or unwanted vibrations. This requires precise control and coordination of the rotations, as well as minimizing external factors that can affect the disc's motion. Additionally, the design and construction of the disc must also take into account its intended use and potential stresses it may encounter.