Trying to type "I" with tilde on top (i.e. phasor notation) (MacOS)

In summary, The conversation is about finding a keyboard shortcut for typing "I" with a tilde on MacOS. The option+n shortcut does not work for the letter I. The character viewer on MacOS does show the character, but it cannot be typed directly using a US-English keyboard layout. The person suggests using the Unicode input method, where Ĩ is represented by 0128.
rudy
As the title says, I'm looking for a keyboard shortcut to type

"I" with a ˜

The option+n shortcut does not work for I or V on MacOS.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean like vector notation in LaTeX?

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

As in ma##\tilde{n}##ana?

Here is how it appears in the edit window.

As in ma##\tilde{n}##ana?

Doesn't appear to be the same as LaTeX; it is the sign above the "n" in mañana. My professor uses this notation and I wanted to know how to reproduce it on my computer.

I'm trying to make the sign above the letter I just using the keyboard on mac (not using the edit window). For example, to write ñ you just type:

"option+n" then the letter "n"

But this does not work for I (or V).

Thanks for your responses.

Likes berkeman
The MacOS "Character Viewer" (underneath the flag icon in my menu bar) does show tilde-I among the supported characters. Let's see what happens when I try to paste it in below:

Ĩ

OK, I see it.

I can't type it directly because the US-English keyboard layout doesn't include it. I don't know which language keyboard would include it.

tilde.gif

That's the one, thanks!

I wish there was an easier way but that will do since it is pretty rare I need to type this.

• Haha
Likes davenn and berkeman

1. How do I type "I" with a tilde on top on MacOS?

To type "I" with a tilde on top (i.e. phasor notation) on MacOS, you can use the following key combination: Option + N, followed by the letter "I". This will produce the character "Ĩ".

2. Why do I need to use phasor notation on MacOS?

Phasor notation is commonly used in scientific and engineering fields to represent complex numbers. It is especially useful in electrical engineering and physics for representing quantities with both magnitude and phase.

3. Can I customize the key combination for typing "I" with a tilde on MacOS?

Yes, you can customize the key combination for typing "I" with a tilde on MacOS by going to System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources. From there, you can add a new input source and set a custom key combination for it.

4. Is there a way to type "I" with a tilde on MacOS without using the key combination?

Yes, you can also use the Character Viewer on MacOS to insert special characters, including "I" with a tilde on top. Simply go to Edit > Emoji & Symbols or use the keyboard shortcut Control + Command + Space to open the Character Viewer.

5. Can I use phasor notation in all applications on MacOS?

Yes, you can use phasor notation in most applications on MacOS, including text editors, word processors, and presentation software. However, some applications may not support special characters, so it is always best to check beforehand.