Trying to understand electromagnetic waves in quantum theory

In summary, waves are still waves, they are just localized in space and time. We still don't know what is oscillating the probability, but we do know that it is something physical.
meopemuk said:
Are you then willing to go further and say that description of light by means of classical "electromagnetic waves" is redundant and doesn't add anything to our understanding of this phenomenon?
Radiowaves induce oscillations of charges in antenna. There are many low energy photons that contribute to the same overall effect. In order for QM to replace classical "electromagnetic waves" it would have to describe this overall effect too. I think QM is not very clear about such things. There is of course coherence but I haven't seen that it would be clearly stated as property of ensemble.

Physics news on Phys.org
bhobba said:
The explanation I gave of the double slit is problematical when applied to photons because the QM description of photons is itself problematical - one must go to Quantum Field Theory.
But luckily we have such a book as Feynman's "QED: The strange theory of light and matter."

zonde said:
I think QM is not very clear about such things.

The reason is photons are problematical in standard QM because position is not an operator for them so they have no wave-function. Exactly what is going on is VERY clear in Quantum Field Theory - but it is HARD. As our own Nugatory said - 'anything you have read about QFT outside a OFT textbook is likely wrong'.

That said, I do rather like the following at the beginner level:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0473179768/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks
Bill

zonde said:
But luckily we have such a book as Feynman's "QED: The strange theory of light and matter."

Yes - it is VERY good - almost without peer. But even it has issues eg:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/do-photons-move-slower-in-a-solid-medium.511177/

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize. I should have locked this thread a page or two ago due to several rules violations (which have only increased since then). If any members would like to start their own thread regarding this subject, feel free. In the meantime, thread locked.

Likes bhobba