Tube steel strength - advice on project

In summary, the person is asking for a design review of a trailer hitch mount. They want someone to look at their design and offer suggestions for improvement. The person suggests that a test rig be setup to see how much force is involved and that care should be taken when the metal is over-loaded.
timtrace
Greetings, may I ask for a bit of help with a steel fabrication project?

Pictured below is my design for a trailer-hitch mount to be used with a Harbor Freight tire changing tool.

I need help determining the thickness and composition of the tube and plate steel to be used in the project. I don't want the mount to be damaged by the force of operating the tool. Note the inset picture; lifting the tire bead over the edge of the rim can require 100# of radial force on the 36" lever.

I'd appreciate it if someone could review my design and offer improvements (or reductions) as necessary.

Thank you.
20Hitch%20Mount%20for%20Harbor%20Freight%20Motorcycle%20Tire%20Changing%20Attachment_zpspuhoxkni.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum.

Asking for a design review of a thing of this nature is a troublesome request. If you or one of your clients get injured, I don't want to be involved. I would suggest that such a review should not be performed for free. But hey, my second favorite race in Star Trek are the Ferengi.

When building things like this it is often easier to start with a prototype. Build one and see what causes it to break. Calculating the required thickness and strength can actually take a long time, and not be very accurate without quite a lot of measurements. So set up a test rig to see how much force is really involved, and at what point various components begin to fail.

Do be aware of the possibility that over-loaded metal will fail suddenly. And be aware that stressed metal can spring back or hurl shrapnel when it fails. So take all due precautions.

timtrace said:
...composition of the tube and plate steel to be used in the project.
IMO... This is pretty good stuff... I welded lots of 4130 aircraft tubing, when I went through A&P school.
DEvens said:
I would suggest that such a review should not be performed for free.
Rule of Acquisition # 59 - "Free advice is seldom cheap"... :approve:

Lol... :oldwink:

Last edited:

What is tube steel and why is it commonly used in construction projects?

Tube steel, also known as hollow structural sections, is a type of steel that is formed into a hollow shape with a specific cross-sectional profile. It is commonly used in construction projects because of its high strength-to-weight ratio, which makes it ideal for supporting heavy loads while minimizing the overall weight of the structure.

What factors affect the strength of tube steel?

The strength of tube steel is influenced by several factors, including the type and grade of steel used, the manufacturing process, and the dimensions and shape of the tube. In addition, the strength can also be affected by external factors such as temperature, corrosion, and loading conditions.

How is the strength of tube steel determined and measured?

The strength of tube steel is typically determined through laboratory testing, where samples are subjected to various levels of stress and the resulting deformation and failure are measured. The most common measure of strength for tube steel is its yield strength, which is the amount of stress the steel can withstand before it permanently deforms.

What are some best practices for designing with tube steel to ensure maximum strength?

When designing with tube steel, it is important to consider the load-bearing capacity, the intended use of the structure, and the potential for external factors such as wind, seismic activity, and temperature changes. It is also important to use high-quality materials and follow industry standards and codes for construction and installation.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with tube steel?

Some common mistakes when working with tube steel include using the wrong type or grade of steel for the intended application, improper welding techniques, and not considering the potential for corrosion or other external factors. It is important to consult with a structural engineer and follow all safety guidelines and regulations when working with tube steel to ensure the strength and integrity of the structure.