Turbulent flow, verifying a general DE solution

In summary, the conversation is about finding the acceleration of a metal sphere falling in a fluid, given its radius, drag coefficient, density, and viscosity. The result is found to be g - p/p_s * g - (3C/(8*p_s*r))*v^2, which is agreed upon by others. The next step is to show that this result has the solution v=atanh(bt) and find the constants a and b. The conversation then shifts to discussing how to solve the differential equation and verify the solution. The person working on the problem realizes they do have the knowledge to solve it and they just need to plug in tanh and do some algebra to find the constants.
redbeard

Homework Statement

Consider a metal sphere of radius r, drag coefficient C, density p_s falling in a fluid p and viscosity n.
Find the acceleration:
I found this to be g - p/p_s * g - (3C/(8*p_s*r))*v^2. Others were in agreeal with this so take it as given.

***Show that your result has the solution v=atanh(bt) and find constants a and b.***

***the part I am on

Homework Equations

(read other parts)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I let C = g-p/p_s* g since this is a constant term and the same for the ones preceding v^2. I just let P = this stuff.
Thus i have v'=C-P*v^2
Now I have no idea how to solve this DE with the knowledge that I have but the general form of the solution was given.
So I'm guessing there's some sort of other way to verify it, but I'm not sure how.

PS: I'm assuming an initial condition is v(0) = 0 as this was needed in another part.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a good assumption for initial condition.

The best thing to realize is that tanh=sinh/cosh

You know that sinh and cosh are expressed as a combination of exponentials. So find the solution in terms of exponentials, and work the tanh into that solution.

Actually, now that I think about it, the problem is even easier than that. Simply plug tanh in, and show that it works. From there it should just be some algebra to figure out what constant is what.

Hey Mindscrape,

Thanks for the reply :).

It turned out I did have the knowledge to solve that DE. I assumed it wasn't separable because when i fed it into Wolfram, Wolfram proceeded to vomit. I guess I shouldn't assume Wolfram is so high and mighty such that if it can't do it then I can't.

Thanks again,
Redbeard

1. What is turbulent flow?

Turbulent flow is a type of fluid flow that is characterized by chaotic and irregular motion of particles. It is commonly observed in nature, such as in rivers and oceans, and also in man-made systems like pipes and engines.

2. How is turbulent flow different from laminar flow?

Laminar flow is a smooth and orderly flow of fluid particles, while turbulent flow is chaotic and random. In laminar flow, the fluid particles move in parallel layers, while in turbulent flow they mix and swirl in unpredictable patterns.

3. How is turbulent flow described mathematically?

Turbulent flow is described by the Navier-Stokes equations, which are a set of partial differential equations that relate the velocity, pressure, density, and viscosity of a fluid. These equations are used to model and predict the behavior of turbulent flow.

4. What is a general DE solution for turbulent flow?

A general DE (differential equation) solution for turbulent flow is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a turbulent flow system. It takes into account various factors such as the velocity and pressure of the fluid, as well as external forces and boundary conditions.

5. How is a general DE solution for turbulent flow verified?

A general DE solution for turbulent flow can be verified through experimental data and numerical simulations. Researchers can compare the predicted results from the DE solution with actual measurements and observations of turbulent flow in real-world situations. If the results match, it provides evidence that the DE solution is valid.